Custom 700 300PRC issues shooting it suppressed

I had to get my REM 700 timed had very little primary extraction. Thats what i think you have ran into here also. You are right on the edge then with the added carbon from the can its not enough to break the case loose from the chamber.
If you do start loading for it switch to ADG brass its great stuff thats what i run in my 300PRC.View attachment 205465

+1 on the ADG brass.

It's factory ammo. 2 different types of factory ammo.

By now you could have:
1. Checked the can for blockage.
2. Checked the can for bullet strikes.
3. Loaded some at 30-06 load levels and see if the problem vanished.

Guess it's more fun to keep posting and not trying anything else eh ?

By now you could have:

Are you implying I don't want to try anything? Not quite sure where you're headed with this.

1. The can is not blocked.
2. The can has no bullet strikes.
3. I did not load 30-06 load levels and drive 90 minutes back to the range in the last 24 hours since I posted this. I'm working!
4. I checked primary extraction, it's not good and needs to be corrected. Compared it to 2 other 700s I have.
5. Cleaned chamber really well with chamber mop and doesn't seem to be crazy dirty or anything out of the ordinary.
6. Shot the suppressor on 2 other rigs using some hot loads with no issues on the same day.
7. Called LRI this morning and discussed it at length with their qualified gunsmith. Sent them a video and have made arrangements to get the primary extraction resolved.

Last edited:
What didn't you understand in my original post or the title of the post? Just a troll!

700s are noted for weak primary extraction compare to a Mauser or M70.
Installing an M16 extractor will cure that although it degrades gas handling.
I have done this with 3 700s and it makes the rifle far better.

The OP said it worked w/o the can fine. That kinda narrows down the problem to the can --- doesn't it ?

My GEMTECH ONE works fine on everything including 300 WM and 300H&H.

The PRC holds more powder and can run a bit hotter. The only explanation that makes any sense is that the can is retaining gas after the cases has "shrunk back" and that gas is backflowing around the case. Those of us who shoot cast bullets are familiar with this when the load does not have enough pressure to fully "obtrude" the case and you get blowback around the case.

Same symptom, different cause although extraction is not affected as the INITIAL pressure is far lower.

The simplest test is to handload some at 30-06 levels. I predict the problem will vanish.

I'm hardly a troll. Appears I understand far more about internal and external ballistics than those calling me names.

Last edited:
700s are noted for weak primary extraction compare to a Mauser or M70.
Installing an M16 extractor will cure that although it degrades gas handling.
I have done this with 3 700s and it makes the rifle far better.

The OP said it worked w/o the can fine. That kinda narrows down the problem to the can --- doesn't it ?

My GEMTECH ONE works fine on everything including 300 WM and 300H&H.

The PRC holds more powder and can run a bit hotter. The only explanation that makes any sense is that the can is retaining gas after the cases has "shrunk back" and that gas is backflowing around the case. Those of us who shoot cast bullets are familiar with this when the load does not have enough pressure to fully "obtrude" the case and you get blowback around the case.

Same symptom, different cause although extraction is not affected as the INITIAL pressure is far lower.

The simplest test is to handload some at 30-06 levels. I predict the problem will vanish.

I'm hardly a troll. Appears I understand far more about internal and external ballistics than those calling me names.

It does narrow down the problem yes, but NOT just to the can. It's more then just the can. It's obvious it has extraction issues, something I was not aware of and learned about because of this thread. It could also be the muzzle brake QD attachment causing additional pressure in the can. I am going to switch to my other can that does not use a brake type QD attachment after I get the rifle back from LRI.

I'm sorry I was not able to get to the range and test your theory of 30-06 loads within 24 hours of your response as it's 65 miles from my house. It's a forum of us all to help each other out to learn, help, and share information and stories as well. To sit here and accuse me, "the OP", of doing nothing except add to the thread, and not listen to any of the suggested Items, is insulting at best. Don't accuse someone of doing nothing next time unless you have the facts. Do me a favor and leave now. I don't want or need advice from someone that thinks they know it all!

Last edited:
By now you could have:

Welcome to the group.
Please dial it back a bit. These conversations should be no different than if we were all in the same room drinking coffee and discussing a problem. Thank you.

JGS, you said: " When I remove the suppressor it ejects super smooth with no issues."

That says to this reader the only variable causing the problem is the can.

JGS, you said: " When I remove the suppressor it ejects super smooth with no issues."

That says to this reader the only variable causing the problem is the can.

That is correct but your assumption of it being the "only variable causing the problem" is incorrect. I mentioned above again that there is an extraction issue/defect. The action begins with serial# RR which have known timing issues and extraction issues. I quote from LRI "if you own a m700 with an RR prefix in the serial# we strongly recommend having the time and tig advancement done if you've had your action accurized. These actions have the latest handle revision from Remington and the PE function is almost non-existent." That paired with the M16 extraction should take care of my issue. Also the chamber is going to be inspected for anything abnormal and then it will be test fired with both cans I own. Does the can contribute to it, of course it does, but the rifle should be able to handle it just like my other 4 I use it on do. Anyways, moving on!

Except you believe the can maker w/o any evidence. When GEMTECH says my ONE is rated to 300 WinMag that does not mean 300 PRC or 300 RUM.

You did not say you had a primary extraction issue w/o the can ----- do you ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.