Custom 300prc vs Production 338lap

SShultz

So I've been granted a fun opportunity here that I think may be of some interest to the LRH community. If not shoot me down!

A little over a year ago I finished my full custom 300 PRC. Proof bull barrel, Terminus action, Manners, Calvin Elite.... This rifle absolutely hammers. It's shot 1/2 minute from 100 out to 1k every time I'm behind it. It turned out a bit heavier than I was shooting for sitting at 13 pounds with an ATACR on top and a SilencerCo

Yesterday I fell into a Christensen BA Tactical .338 Lapua. Bone stock.

So: What comparisons would y'all like to see? Anything more than accuracy and postal scale comparisons?

Initially I was just going to flip the Christensen but I'm not in a hurry and thought it might be fun to play with em a bit. Is it even worth the time for y'all?
Let me know.
SShultz

So: What comparisons would y'all like to see? Anything more than accuracy and postal scale comparisons?

Initially I was just going to flip the Christensen but I'm not in a hurry and thought it might be fun to play with em a bit. Is it even worth the time for y'all?
Let me know.
SShultz

I'm very interesting what you think of the Christensen and how it shoots/handles. Its on my short list of things to buy soon from the little bit I've played with one at my LGS

So I've been granted a fun opportunity here that I think may be of some interest to the LRH community. If not shoot me down!

A little over a year ago I finished my full custom 300 PRC. Proof bull barrel, Terminus action, Manners, Calvin Elite.... This rifle absolutely hammers. It's shot 1/2 minute from 100 out to 1k every time I'm behind it. It turned out a bit heavier than I was shooting for sitting at 13 pounds with an ATACR on top and a SilencerCo

Let me know.
SShultz
Let us know how you like the Christensen, been looking at their Modern Precision Rifle in 338 Lapua, but was also thinking custom.

I will be hand loading. I was supposed to pick up some glass for the .338 today but got flaked on. I also have a friend that's going to let me borrow the brake from his Christensen 300 PRC. I don't know how fair this comparison will be given that the .338 had a 26" tube and my PRC is only 24. Weight and recoil should still be pretty fair to compare.

Let us know how you like the Christensen, been looking at their Modern Precision Rifle in 338 Lapua, but was also thinking custom.
I have the CA MPR in 338LM,NF 7-35x56 ATACR(MOAR-T) with 6 screw NF Ultralite rings,TT Diamond trigger set right now at 18 ozs.,Terminator T4 brake,MDT vertical grip,Flatline Ops rail mounted anti-cant bubble level,and an Atlas Cal Gen II bipod.Headed to a range in a minute with some 300 gr. Berger OTM's to zero it.Total wt. is 14.4 lbs. and will only be used(so far)for paper,steel,and a rock every now and then(wouldn't want to really lug it up and down a mountain at my age[68],would be hard enough to lug my 265 lbs. up and down a mountain without a rifle).

Last edited:
I have the CA MPR in 338LM,NF 7-35x56 ATACR(MOAR-T) with 6 screw NF Ultralite rings,TT Diamond trigger set right now at 18 ozs.,Terminator T4 brake,and an Atlas Cal Gen II bipod.Headed to a range in a minute with some 300 gr. Berger OTM's to zero it.Total wt. is 14.4 lbs. and will only be used(so far)for paper,steel,and a rock every now and then(wouldn't want to really lug it up and down a mountain at my age[68],would be hard enough to lug my 265 lbs. up and down a mountain without a rifle).
Let me know how it shoots and handles, I was looking at the MPR for both hunting and long range precision shooting. I had thought the rifle itself was about 8.5 lbs, which is lighter than my Bergara HMR. I am in my sixties as well, but had cut my weight a while back from about 260 to about 190 to avoid back surgery, a bit heavier now after all of the holiday meals. I was interested in this rifle because of the foldable stock and the pack-ability of the rifle. My HMR set up has a 3 x18 Leupold MrkV with Vortex matched precision rings, NF 20 MOA rail, an Atlas BT10 bipod and a ZRO delta cowl induction brake.

Let me know.
SShultz
If you reload for it, my .338 Lapua uses Barnes TSX 285gr bullets over 92gr of Retumbo in Lapua brass...

Let me know how it shoots and handles, I was looking at the MPR for both hunting and long range precision shooting. I had thought the rifle itself was about 8.5 lbs, which is lighter than my Bergara HMR. I am in my sixties as well, but had cut my weight a while back from about 260 to about 190 to avoid back surgery, a bit heavier now after all of the holiday meals. I was interested in this rifle because of the foldable stock and the pack-ability of the rifle. My HMR set up has a 3 x18 Leupold MrkV with Vortex matched precision rings, NF 20 MOA rail, an Atlas BT10 bipod and a ZRO delta cowl induction brake.
I'm pretty pleased with it,after 4 shots to zero it I managed to put 5 of the 300 gr. factory loads into a group measuring 5/8" at 100 yds. off of a bipod and rear bag(and I'm not a great group shooter).Recoil wasn't bad with that big old T4 honker of a brake and the TT Diamond trigger was fantastic.Also re-zeroed my 300WM as I'd just put a NF 7-35 ATACR on it too and think the 338 was more fun to shoot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.