Custom .300 WSM

skip AI

Im looking at building a Custom .300 WSM Varmint/Stalking rifle.
I have two actions to play with, a Sako L691 (currently in 25-06AI) and a Browning A-Bolt (in .300WSM).
I would prefer to use the Sako action as the longer magazine would mean I could seat them out longer. Can this action be convertered?
I want to have a 25.5" stainless fluted barrel with break. Any suggestions on manufacturer? What twist rate and how many groove to shoot 180-200gn?
What stock should I be looking at as I want the rig to weigh in under 10lbs.
What components should I use?

cheers

I had the same problem, the L691 may have a .473 bolt face and the 300wsm is .535, I dont know if the .473 could be opened up or not. I went with a 6.5x284 on the L691 instead and now I need an action for the 300wsm project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Bummer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They are like hens teeth to pick up in the UK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As for barrels, well what a choice, you guys are spoilt accross the pond. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck.

Skip- you have a dandy gun right there in the sako25-06AI. You also have the browning in a 30 you can hunt most nearly anything. If you send the browning off a good smith might be able to get you a little extra length. I would use a Krieger or Lilja barrel and a Mcmillian stock bedded and all the extra little work that matters.

Just my 2 cents worth.

RH

Skip , I have a L691 in 300Win mag and it looks to me like their is plenty enough meat left on the bolt face to accept the WSM case head.
I've never realy been "into" this action but you will probably have to have some work done on your feed rails.

Skip,
With the Sako extractor system you might not be able to open the bolt face and have it work properly. It would take some measuring with a Mag extractor in place to see what the dimentions are. I personally have never opened up a Sako bolt face.

Dave

I would go with the Browning and the Broughton 1-11 twist with 5c rifling if I could wait 12 weeks for delivery. the WSM really caps out top end at the 200 gr range.

The Barnes Triple X is designed to be shot with a large jump of up to .070 so that would seem an ideal bullet to start for a bullet that will have issues with OAL. They say (ha ha) that it gives match grade accuracy. We will see. I am trying the 168s and 180s in my WSM.

Just built the same thing, took a Rem SPS in 300 WSM restocked it with a Bruce Baer thumbhole in butternut (2.5 lbs bedded with recoil pad) and attempted to see what the factory barrel would do after lugs lapped and recrowning. Not to my liking as it had stress issues and walked bullets, so only one that had a sporter blank in stock was Lilja so I got his #4 contour 1-11 in SS, believe it was a 4 groove, and will finish it at 26". My current weight with scope, sling and loaded is 9.1 lbs, hope to keep it same with new barrel.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts