Custom .280 AI build for $2k

Like some others have said it can be done but it's going to take some time and work. Your gonna have to be diligent in finding great deals on all parts. There out there but you really got to be looking.

Maybe,
I had a .280ai built on a Tikka.

It is an IBI Carbon Fibre wrapped barrel. They sell for $900 Aussie dollars.

I also got a deal on a Bolly/Precision Defence Industries Carbon stock and the Tikka was a new old stock .25-06 blued synthetic.

I wanted the 26"barrel to screw all the velocity I can from the .280ai. Overall its light with a front heavy balance. That gives the perception of being heavier when holding off hand. Might be better in the field, I've only used it over the bench.

The stockist only offer 22" or 26" carbon barrels listed here.

22" and a slightly less lop would be good. But my 26" should also be ok for me as it's not a scrub gun either.

It's about 48" overall.

PSE Composites in Ireland make a nice looking stock but I got all my components at good prices at the time. .

It was straight forward for the gunsmith as a thread and chamber job.

Maybe,
I had a .280ai built on a Tikka.

It is an IBI Carbon Fibre wrapped barrel. They sell for $900 Aussie dollars.

I also got a deal on a Bolly/Precision Defence Industries Carbon stock and the Tikka was a new old stock .25-06 blued synthetic.

I wanted the 26"barrel to screw all the velocity I can from the .280ai. Overall its light with a front heavy balance. That gives the perception of being heavier when holding off hand. Might be better in the field, I've only used it over the bench.

The stockist only offer 22" or 26" carbon barrels listed here.

22" and a slightly less lop would be good. But my 26" should also be ok for me as it's not a scrub gun either.

It's about 48" overall.

PSE Composites in Ireland make a nice looking stock but I got all my components at good prices at the time. .

It was straight forward for the gunsmith as a thread and chamber job.
@CBH Australia is that a hunting rifle or shooting comps only?

I'm currently building a 280ai and to use new components compared to used ones makes a big difference. If you are ok with buying used you will be closer to the 2k mark than by buying new ones. In most cases, to get a good action it will eat up half of the 2k you are budgeted at. CF barrels and stocks will put you well over that 2k number. Good luck with the build, it is fun looking for the parts and getting what you want.