CURRENTLY availible 338 bullets?!?

joshua99ta

guys I have searched and I can't really find anything thats up to date?

I'm asking b/c I'm hoping to get w/ Kirby in the next couple of weeks and get all the things ironed completely out on the 338 AX that I want.

I've seen some info on the new hornadys and the SMKs and Accubonds.

what about solids? I see info on em on the 408s and 375s and stuff. Where can I find these projectiles? or where can I find more info/ contact info?

maybe I'm just not in the know? lol but I need to get into it!

mate, all the hype over the ultra high BC banded solids in the .375-.408 etc is still in what id call 'a state of development.' You cant buy them yet, but soon we should be able to see something come of it.

In the mean time, one of the manufacturers involved in the above, already makes a very high G1 BC of around 1.0 bullet in .338 cal, highest BC ive heard of in .338cal. GSCustom in south africa does them, however they are quite expensive and you have to wait about 3 months to get them after ordering. Then you must have a very tight twist 1:7.5in barrel to shoot them or they will not stabilize.

If you want to get into it, you need a fat wallet, lots of patience, and do lots of research before you begin.

I've been reading and researching since about november of last year(rigth after my house was broken into and my sandero 7mmRUM was stolen(no safe at the time and I just left the rifle out in the open pretty much... extremely careless mistake)

I want to go w/ something large. I don't need anything like the 408 based rounds, I won't be shooting past 1000 yards unless its just for ***** and giggles. BUT I want the equipment to do it if I ever need to. Thats why I have chosen the 338 AX as its definately deadly on anything in north america to 1000 yards. I also want something I can look into taking to africa and it not get frowned upon. But this rifle will mostly be a purpose built hunting rifle. Most of the long range stuff will be practicing for hunting situations.

I know I'll have $1000 in brass, and bullets are gunna run in the $2-$5 range depending on what they are for. BUT thats not a real big issue considering I don't shoot during the summer due to the extreme head and humididity down here.

Rocky mountain bullets make good hunting bullets in 338 with BC's from .773 225 grain to over 1 in 325 grain. Either of those would work well in your excellent rifle you have coming.

I've never really heard anything about the rocky mountains as far as hands on experience.... I do like the sound of what they offer though.

take a look at these. Made by Bore Tech i have a box of them and they are pretty nice bullets. Have not gotten my 338 Lapua back so i cant tell you how they shoot but they are not nearly as expensive as the others mentioned above. Plus when ordered you should have them in less than a week.

Welcome to Bore Tech, Inc.

i'll take a look @ the bore techs when I get in from work(the site is blocked here @ work)

I did find some tests on the 375 RMs... not too bad, I think they held 84% of their weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.