Current Savage Action differences

ntsqd

I see a lot of info scattered about on these actions. I'm hoping to condense it all down into hopefully one thread. What is desirable and why? I'm sure that there will be conflicting opinions, and I'm equally sure that different uses will want different features. I have my own interests in this topic, but I thought that maybe by making it less about what I'm looking for and more about what each difference is and how or why a person might want it for some use over the other options might be helpful to the whole community. Specifics about the different lengths of actions are well covered, what I am more interested in are the other features/options that these actions have been offered with.

Top vs bottom bolt release?

Blind vs. detachable vs. ? magazine? (By "Blind Magazine" are we talking about an "ADL" or a "BDL" mag type?)

Stagger feed vs. center feed?

Flat back vs. Round Back?

What have I missed?

oh well.....
LOL - IMO, the only time you really need to address these issues is when you're building a custom rifle off of a Savage action. Suffice it to say, Savage has tinkered with their action design multiple times over the years. That's why so many action builders as well as custom rifles start with the Rem 700 or 721.
A hilarious thread would be "Screams Heard from the Rubber Room for Gunsmiths." Ignoring howls like, "ANOTHER JENNINGS!!! WHERE'S MY HAMMER?!", I'd bet there would be some doozies and great info.

Adding, lots of great info at Accuratereloading.com, SavageShooters.com, to name only two. There's a lot of gems at sites for machinists that include a gunsmithing section.

I'll have to look at those forums/pages from home when work's anti-2A bias won't block them (for some reason they don't block LRH).
700's are like small block chevys, everyone's got one and they're so ubiquitous that they aren't of much interest in themselves. My dad once told me that the reason to use Windows is not because everyone else does, but because everyone else does. I feel that way about 700's and I'd use Linux if I could understand it.
Suppose that I am building something based on a Savage action. Or even buying a built rifle based on a Savage action. What features would I want or not want for any given application?

I have a lot of experience with some savage action types and none with others, I'll share my knowledge with you.......all my actions are earlier so top bolt release on all, handy works well no problems. All are blind magazine stagger feed models, easy to work with and tune if changing cartridge's. Would like to get a 110 ultralite and would like the detachable box magazine. I have some with flat back and some rounded back, see no difference except takes different bases. I notice that stocks are more available for the older blind magazine models simply cause there's more of them out there. Savage likes to constantly change things which makes aftermarket parts change. The center feed was to make feeding more dependable, I don't mind changing follower's and tweaking the lip's so blind magazine was never a problem for me. Hope this helps a little.

Assuming you're looking for a used "donor" action or it would be a moot question.

That said, when it comes to aftermarket support you're better off with newer center feed actions- nothing wrong with the staggered feed blind box mags- but more difficult finding stocks/chassis', and if you want a DBM that's the only way to go.

The "flat back" receivers were the way the staggered feed were made. They were also made with different action screw spacing.

Here's a good rundown:

Last edited:
Sorry tobnpr but you are wrong about flat backed action screw spacing. Do you notice 1998 to 2002 were flat back with the same spacing as 2003 to 2005 round backed accutrigger models. I own both models and can switch stocks between them. All models from 1998-2005 were stagger feed. The centerfeed magazines didn't appear till 2006. I have them all and know of what I speak, sorry but lets tell people the right facts about the different action spacing and stagger feed vs centerfeed. I also see more staggerfeed stocks available then newer style magazine and detachable box models.

Action screw spacing is much talked about, I see no reason to continue to do so when it seems to be fairly well documented.

From what I've seen Center Feed could come with either a top bolt release or a bottom bolt release. Aftermarket triggers only seem to fit top bolt release actions. Anyone changed a bottom to a top?

So far attempts to find DBM kits or assemblies has had a low return.

Same for stocks, if what you want is something like an EH1. Those are inletted for a long list of actions that does not include Savages.

One of things I've either missed or hasn't been noted is what the action screw thread diameter & pitch is. I've seen plenty of pages for their various lengths, but do not recall any stating the diameter & pitch of the threads.

Having now seen a bottom bolt release LA I would be inclined to make whatever trigger that was desired, fit the action as-is rather than converting it to a top release.

Given the huge variety of Savage "ready made" rifles, it's hard to understand why you could not something to do anything off the shelf.

Any "build" has a 99% chance of being duplicated in the Savage catalog (or some other maker)

I believe any "long range hunting" application does not REQUIRE spending huge bucks on a custom build.

A Savage elite precision in 338 Lapua will kill any big game animal as far as you want. With a street price of under $2000, it leaves you a lot for a fine scope.

To the best of my knowledge Savage doesn't offer a .308 Norma Mag (not negotiable), and where would the fun be in just buying something? :)

The idea of this thread was to put the info out there for the guys who want to build a rifle by selecting the individual parts and putting it together. Can always do it for less by buying a whole rifle (that probably won't have the complete feature set desired). That is not the point.
The point is for a guy or gal to be able to say "For me to shoot Bear/Moose/Steel/Paper/ROUS/speedgoat/coyote/etc./etc./etc. with _____ chambering I need a center-feed/stagger-feed, box mag/DBM, LA/SA, top/bottom bolt stop, round/flat back action with a large/small barrel shank" (fill in the blank, ignore those that don't matter, & cross out those that don't apply).

The practical difference between a 308 Norma and any othe 30 caliber magnum is invisible in the real world. Savage makes 300 WSM and 300 Winmag.

I believe ntsqd wants to assemble his own rifle with chosen parts not buy a complete new savage in a cartridge he does not want, "not negotiable" was the term used. I wouldn't buy a new rifle myself, Every savage I've assembled has been exactly the way I wanted. Up till now I have preferred small shank, staggerfeed blind magazine, rifle basix trigger, my own headspace on an aftermarket match barrel, a machined heavy lug, trued barrel nut, trued action face, rounded action back, and top bolt release in an aftermarket stock with bedding block if composite or pillared and glass bedded wood laminate.

Very different from a new out of the box savage for sure. Do plan on a centerfeed w/ DBM on next build however.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts