Current flavor of the month recommended next-to-skin base layer for -15 to +15 sits?

Winny94

In a world of disposable wears and bank controlled mfgs, who currently offers good quality base layers? Seems the "quality" recommendation changes about yearly now.

LRNut

If the "sits" in your post means you are sitting on a stand, here is what works for me. I wear any kind of heavy hydrophobic long underwear under my pants. My top is a lightweight version of same. In on old-style external frame backpack I put in a -30 below bag (one that has been retired from backpacking), a large trash bag, my parka, and then a heavy fleece and heavy first layer. When I get to my stand (which might be bungee corded to the same backpack), I take off my base layer if I have perspired any and put on a dry one, then all the other layers except my parka. I climb my stand, then pull up the backpack (rifle is typically slung over my head and unloaded). I then put on my parka, pull the trash bag over my boots, and then pull the sleeping bag up to my chin.

I hunt right on the Canadian border, and I can tell you there is no substitute for this method - I can stay out all day in sub-zero temps, although it has been a long time since it was below zero all day.

dashender7

As someone who hunts in that temperature range in NE, I second the layering approach in general with backup base layer in case of perspiration moisture over chasing the trendy pricey flavor of the month. Milsurp polartec is one example of a great buy in the right role.

Btw, OP, found you here as I'm interested in purchasing your MR Divide pack for sale and currently I'm new here on the forum and trying to read through and understand the rules and limits on sending PM's and posting on classifieds I guess I'm locked out of that for now, but I'd purchase that from you if I can and can provide rep from other forums I'm a longtime member of.

Winny94

As someone who hunts in that temperature range in NE, I second the layering approach in general with backup base layer in case of perspiration moisture over chasing the trendy pricey flavor of the month. Milsurp polartec is one example of a great buy in the right role.

Btw, OP, found you here as I'm interested in purchasing your MR Divide pack for sale and currently I'm new here on the forum and trying to read through and understand the rules and limits on sending PM's and posting on classifieds I guess I'm locked out of that for now, but I'd purchase that from you if I can and can provide rep from other forums I'm a longtime member of.
Funny you mention that, just got a fleece polartech layer today. Shopping for the waffle baselayers next.
I'm on rokslide, AR15.com, Rokslide (though I'm pretty new there too). Are you active anywhere on those?

dfanonymous

XGO and Beyond.

Assuming you layer.

They are good enough for government work. Not sure what they offer for civilian use.

brcfo_outdoors

I will always recommend Kuiu for hunting clothing because I have been super happy with them. This is the one area I have never used their products, however, because I have been running Craft brand base layers for years. Got them on discount from REI, believe they are more oriented towards cross country skiing, but the quality has been phenomenal for the price. I am super picky about wool because so much of it I find itchy and aggravating but have never had a problem with the Craft. Not sure what their current offerings look like, but they are worth checking out.

seattleman1969

I will always recommend Kuiu for hunting clothing because I have been super happy with them. This is the one area I have never used their products, however, because I have been running Craft brand base layers for years. Got them on discount from REI, believe they are more oriented towards cross country skiing, but the quality has been phenomenal for the price. I am super picky about wool because so much of it I find itchy and aggravating but have never had a problem with the Craft. Not sure what their current offerings look like, but they are worth checking out.
That's why I like First Lite, super comfy and soft, never itchy, and super warm!

Recent Posts