Curious about cots

mikea5232

I have a hunt this fall where i would like to be sleeping on something other than the ground. Thinking about getting a cot. Anyone have any suggestions one a good comfortable cot?

Since this is posted in the backpacking gear & clothing section, I am assuming you will be packing it in on your back vs livestock. Therma Rest makes a good light wt cot, but it still weighs nearly as much as a light wt tent, so you have to decide if the wt is worth it. I weigh about 210-215 lbs and the largest one works well for me. You will still need a good pad, so factor that in to your pack wt also. I'm not sure I will use mine again if I am the one packing it in, if I have livestock, then I would definitely use it.

If weight and size limitations are no issue, a full size aluminum framed G.I. cot, would get my nod. I bought mine from Cabela's, around 20 years ago. Pain in the fingers to set up, but worth the effort for comfort, while sleeping.

Can't see that Cabela's has them online, but found them at Rothco.com $100.
Item no. 4579

Best cot if weight is not a factor is the GI Army cots go to a local army surplus and get one, They will last you years and at an affordable price. They will all be aluminum for the real ones. I did buy a brown one at walmart last year coleman trailhead 2. It works but doubt it will last a century like my army one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.