Cull Bull or Cow Hunts interested?

eddybo

I think I may have a good deal on a long range friendly hunt. How does 1100 for an all inclusive cow hunt or 1600 for a cull bull hunt in NM sound. I know I can get 10 spots probably 10 more. I have hunted this ranch before. It is about 45 minutes west of Alburqurque. The lodge is a huge space up on top of a Mesa and was super nice last time I was there. Any interest?

I am waiting on a email for fimal confirmation, but everything looks like it is a go. The hunt will start on Nov. 14th for 5 days. It would be worth the price just to hang around the lodge. Last time I was there the cows were everywhere....as were the bulls. But taking a cow will almost be too easy, especially at longer range. I took a nice 5x6 on the last day but passsed some nicer bulls early on in the hunt.

The price includes meals and tags and lodging and a guide. Not sure how many hunters per guide, but it does not include tips for the guides or cook. As much as I love elk meat I would almost pay for someone to hunt if I could have the animal:)

As soon as I get the confirmation I will email you the info. This is not an outfitted hunt, just a friend who offered me this opportunity to go hunting with some friends......just thought I would see if anyone here is interested.

Being only a Whitetail hunter, I am curious as to what constitutes a Cull Bull elk.

Thanks,

edge.

A "Cull" bull is a bull of inferior genetics. He may have mutated antler charecteristics or he may be a very mature bull with small horns. Typically people managing areas will try and cull these bulls from the herd so they cannot spawn more substandard animals thus increasing the quality of the hunting from a trophy standpoint.

meichele, sorry for the confusion and I appreciate your reply, but I was wondering what constituted a "Cull Bull" on this ranch :)

Where I hunt we cull bucks without brow tines now matter how good he is. If we had a Boone and Crockett buck BUT lacked brow tines he would be culled. Juvenile bucks with less than 8 points are culled.

If a cull on this ranch is only a spike or something of very low quality, then I would probably opt for a cow hunt.

Once again I am sorry for the confusion.

edge.

Canderson, The Dates are November 14th through 18th.

Edge I do not know what will constitute a cull on this ranch but suspect that it will be any bull over 3 years that is not a 6x6. I will ask and post the answer.

I was going to use this hunt for business, but wth the hurricane damage in TX I do not think many of the guys I was planning to take will be available.

I will through my name in the hat. I broke my leg pretty bad in May and can't backpack into my usual killer terrain but by then should be able to walk around a little on a hunt. Sounds like a fun hunt. Keep us posted on here or PM me.

LTLRH, Will do. Would love to have you. The ranch roads make it pretty accesible hunting you shouldnt have a problem. I am taking a friend who has a hitch in his git along because I feel it his best chance to get an elk.

Yall please let me know whether your want a cow tag or a bull tag. I am calling my buddy right now. I will get permisssion to post his number so anyone with questions can hear the info from the horses mouth. I kind of need to keep a running talley. I know they only have 20 cow tags and like 12 cull bull tags.
I will not accept any type of deposits etc. That will have to go straight to the land owner.
The lodge will accomodate 20 hunters easily, plus it has a guide shack. The ranch is huge but I think we will only have access to 36000 acres if I recall correctly....I will ask about that also.

Does that mean that your name is in the hat pending further information? I am scared I am going to run out of spots, and just trying to get a list of tentatives? The hunt is going to happen for sure, based on my last conversation with my friend. I just have the opportunity to fill a bunch of slots that I reserved with real hunters rather than oil field supervisors. I had 12 slots reserved, but think I can have up to 18 but have to let them know prettty soon. I think that the deposits will be due mid to late Oct, if they are even required. I am looking forward to hunting rather than hand holding and baby sitting:)

meichele, sorry for the confusion and I appreciate your reply, but I was wondering what constituted a "Cull Bull" on this ranch :)

Where I hunt we cull bucks without brow tines now matter how good he is. If we had a Boone and Crockett buck BUT lacked brow tines he would be culled. Juvenile bucks with less than 8 points are culled.

If a cull on this ranch is only a spike or something of very low quality, then I would probably opt for a cow hunt.

Once again I am sorry for the confusion.

edge.

I need to get out of another commitment first. This sounds a lot better but I need to see if I can get my money back for an archery hunt that I do each year.

I have never been Elk hunting and this seems like a great way to get your feet wet :)

edge.

I am interested in a cull bull and having some fun on the hunt talking to interesting people. What are the percentages of seeing a cull bull to shoot at. After spouting off about the virtues of the 338 on the other thread I may carry my 257 STW and try it with the 100 grain Barnes. I already have a bunch of trophies and have taken elk over 400 inches in New Mexico. So a cull bull and meat would be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.