savagelover

Anyone have any idea on how to bait in crows
so they can be shot it with a rifle? I was wondering
if putting out some crack corn would draw them
in and then I can scare their *** with my 223 or
22-250...Maybe be illegal in some states,but what
the hell..I think it will be great fun..Thanks for any
suggestions...Johngun)

Around here the Crows, ravens, magpies and eagles are on anything dead or close to it. They line up on the fences waiting their turn. They even circle my FoxPro call of a dying rabbit.

Jeff

Savagelover,
Not sure if it's illegal to bait crows or not. You probably should go to you Fish and Game website and investigate.
Here in NC they changed the crows status to a non-game Migratory bird and few years back. Not sure why but I always thought it was an attempt to prevent people from shooting them with rifles.
I have always enjoyed "dusting" crows. I really enjoy it wheh they line up and I can get two with one shot! That's a hoot. JohnnyK.

yeah i guess a lot of states have a season on them now?

I bought a bag of cheap dog food and put it in a pile.

In a day or so there were crows feeding on it...So I
guess that will bring them in...I love to dust them with
my 223 or the 22-250...Johngun)

It's legal to bait in mass... I've had good luck with a few crow decoys a field or cranberry bog

Please read thru the hunting laws for your state as they do change (at least in mine) and please use common sense. The last things legitimate shooters/hunters need now if more trouble.

The one thing that always concerns me is target background - when I shoot at something I want something safe behind it to stop a bullet. Shooting at a crow on a tree with a 223 or 22-250 would not be too smart in my book as that bullet is going to go a long, long way. In PA there was a girl killed two years ago when a hunter decided to shoot his blackpowder rifle into the air at the end of the season before cleaning it, she was a mile away sitting in a buggy. Very sad.

Please read thru the hunting laws for your state as they do change (at least in mine) and please use common sense. The last things legitimate shooters/hunters need now if more trouble.

The one thing that always concerns me is target background - when I shoot at something I want something safe behind it to stop a bullet. Shooting at a crow on a tree with a 223 or 22-250 would not be too smart in my book as that bullet is going to go a long, long way. In PA there was a girl killed two years ago when a hunter decided to shoot his blackpowder rifle into the air at the end of the season before cleaning it, she was a mile away sitting in a buggy. Very sad.

No intention in shooting at a crow in a tree..Thats just plain stupid...My efforts will all be at crows on the ground..And with a hill behind it.If not,then I do not shoot..I see deer hunters blasting away at deer in an open fiels with no thought of where that bullet is going.And your right about,there is enough going on already..I appreciate your kind and thought out reply..John:rolleyes:

Thanks for understanding. You might want to check into crow calls, there are mouth calls and actual machines. I never got into shooting crows but I know men who do. The crow is a very spiritual bird, I don't mess with crows.

In the south we use a owl decoy and a good owl call.

Crows hate owls and owls kill crows at night so normally the crows cant resist the chance to
kick some owls ***.

We place the owl decoy on a snag 2 or 3 feet off the ground and place a few crow decoys
around the snag.

We use both the owl call and a crow call. (with both hunters calling at the same time)

Normally we Carry one accurate rifle In 22 cal. and a shotgun for the smart ones that wont land
for pass shooting.

A good camo blind is a must.

Have fun.

J E CUSTOM

Al excellent ideas..But for what I would like to do ,I think as far as a call
goes I would need one of those high dollar remote calls that I can
operate from something like 2 or 3 hundred yards away and maybe
a couple decoys set out so the crows will land...Thats why I am thinking
some type of bait would be an idea attraction..

J E Custom is one of my favorite members on LRH. If that is how he hunts crow then that is exactly how I would do it, no questions asked. I always look forward to his posts.

J E Custom - Any suggestions on calls? I might not shoot any right now but it would be fun to learn to call.

J E Custom is one of my favorite members on LRH. If that is how he hunts crow then that is exactly how I would do it, no questions asked. I always look forward to his posts.

J E Custom - Any suggestions on calls? I might not shoot any right now but it would be fun to learn to call.

Thanks for the kudos, but is is just the way I hunt them.

I started out using a owl hooter and a crow call (Both were mouth calls) and had good success.

We used a 12 gauge with #2 lead shot for up close and pass shooting. After a few rounds the
crows would fly off a few hundred yards and light. then we broke out the 22-250 and had some
more fun.

I now have a Fox Pro and it makes less mistakes than we did, But I have not seen any increase
in numbers, Just easier calling.

A good blind/hide seems to make the most difference and moving frequently like you do when hunting coyotes.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.