Crow Season's Over

gunner52

Was a great crow season in Indiana but it's over till July. I hunt them by stalking rather than calling and it's a lot of fun and gives you a lot of opportunity for LR shots. Shot over 30 birds this year with about 80% kill ratio. Long shots were 276, 288,310,325 and 400yds. Using a rifle built by Charlie Roberts @ scorehigh. 30-06 with 135 SMK. A little overkill for crow but it is my yote rifle and anything else that I need it for when LR is involved and crow are a great way to stay tuned in. Anyone else hunt crow this way?

Bradgun)

I live in PA and hunt them. Not exclusively, but when opportunity lends itself, I take a shot. Usually I'm shooting in the 600+ yard range. Almost blew the beak off of one at 875yds once. We get close, but never seem to nail'em. They are a booger to hit at that distance. Generally our shooting happens when the g-hogs are all down in their holes for the afternoon to get out of the afternoon heat.

Tank

Don't have the areas to hunt crows like that anymore. Once in a blue moon I'll get the opportunity while chuck hunting.
When I was 16(33 yrs ago) while chuck hunting I made my first rifle shot on a crow. 22-250 at just over 200 yards. 55 gr hornady sx basically turned crow into a puff of feathers. What a feeling, to this day still get excited about blasting crows with rifle.Since then have only gotten a handful that way.

I only got a few this year cause i didn't have much time to get out but i did get a few. Went yote hunting one morning and my brother spooked up a yote and ran right at my best friend, shot was taken and missed. The yote began running and another shot was taken and missed, which the yote started running towards my neighbor who took a shot and nailed him. we figured with all the noise we didn't have much of a chance to get any others so we put the stalk on a few crows in the other field. I got set up on a small hill which we ranged at 328 yards. I whipped out my new 243. win and wanted to test it out. Dialed it in, squeezed the trigger and a big black cloud of feathers went everywhere. The second crow took flight and didn't know where the shot came from, so it landed 150 yards to the east of us. My but took a shot with his 22 hornet and down went the second one. I only got a few others this year, nothing impressive though. 40 yards open sights 22lr. and a 15 yard shot 22lr. thats it. not a good season but im going to start up again soon

I just started this last year to put more time into hunting crows. My weapon of choice now is 17 Mach2. I've called in dozens at a time on a good day and get to shoot 3 of them when they land over about 35 minutes.

I tried the year before with a shotgun and my success was far less stellar with a higher output of ammunition. I'm fair with the clays.

My brother and I used to wear them out with calls and shotguns when we were younger. I shoot a few with the rifle still when I get the itch. Rarely do I have a camera with me but here's a couple I shot with my 243AI and 105VLDs. they were 350 and 307yds.

IMG_20110321_135628.jpg

IMG_20110403_193055.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.