Crossing the Canadian border with firearms ?

Varmint Hunter

I have a bear hunt planned in Canada this May. I have made the trip many times over the years and normally complete the forms at the border.
I was just told that the law recently changed and preparations to cross the border with firearms require advance notice to the Canadian Customs office and an advance registration number which must be presented at the border.
Has anyone heard of this?

I just went to Ontario bear hunting this past September and it hadn't changed from years past. We did have the firearm declaration filled out before we got to the border but not signed. You need to sign it in front of the officer. I'm not sure about the other provinces though.

Last september it was just the form, gun lock, case lock. We also locked the ammo in a box just to be safe. Triple checked all gear and vehicle for pistols. I did not know they were so strict on denying entry for dui's. They said that even if your not driving any offense in the last ten years they can deny entry. That was going into Alberta.

You have to register your firearms with the Canadian people as you have for the past 10-15 years.

The change is that US Customs now requires some type or registration. Just enacted or in the process of being enacted. SCI just put out a warning. No details yet.

The US Customs new registration became public knowledge about March 17. Originally to start in April. Current implementation date is May 1. Basically you have to file a report that you are taking a firearm out of the country and returning with it. Failure to do so could lead to felony charges and confiscation of your firearm. For details I'll refer you to 2 lengthy threads on other forums I'm a member of.
wcom/threads/new-usa-requirements-in-addition-to-the-form-4457.21576/ww.africahunting.
New US Requirements For Traveling With Guns - Topic
The above are long reads, but will educate you on what is going on. Customs is still not completely up to speed.

The shortest way is for you to file for a employer identification number (EIN) and then pay someone to file the other paperwork for you. Coppersmith charges $50.
There may be a grace period, but I personally am going to Africa soon and am getting the paperwork completed. Any further questions feel free to PM me. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.