Crossing the Canadian border with Ammo?

I've taken ammo across and back many, many times over the last 25 yrs. I have never even been asked about ammo.

I have not purchased ammo in Canada but IIRC, I was told only our Canadian outfitter can purchase ammo, not non-resident hunters.

I've taken ammo across and back many, many times over the last 25 yrs. I have never even been asked about ammo.

I have not purchased ammo in Canada but IIRC, I was told only our Canadian outfitter can purchase ammo, not non-resident hunters.
Thanks. Peregrine Bullets is considering starting to import to Canada and Allwyn asked me if Alaskans would be able to buy in Canada and bring to AK. Can't beat local info.

Thanks. Peregrine Bullets is considering starting to import to Canada and Allwyn asked me if Alaskans would be able to buy in Canada and bring to AK. Can't beat local info.
I am from Canada. All I know is that we cannot purchase or be in possession of any firearm related parts in the U.S. This includes everything basically. No barrel blanks,scopes, bullets for reloading,primers, powder,stocks etc. For a U.S. citizen buying in Canada and returning to the U.S. may be different. I would call and speak to customs or the ATF. It is not worth the hassle or charges if caught.

Hello,

In "legal" definitions the answer is NO it cannot be done without individual and specific permits/licenses.
Please feel free to browse USML Section 121 for what requires a US Department of State export permit for items leaving the US and BATFE form 6 for license to bring items into the USA.

THEIS

Edited To Add:
The issue becomes even bigger issue IF Peregrine (would be sending from the USA) to a specific dealer in CA that has been approved for x amount of quantity of y product under a US Department of State DSP 5 permit. Part of the approved permit requires the "End User" aka CA dealer to acknowledge they will NOT re export that product anywhere without obtaining US Department of State approval beforehand.

Now Peregrine coming from ZA bypasses those US regulations but the BATFE import regulations bringing items from CA to USA are still required.

Last edited:
Hello,

In "legal" definitions the answer is NO it cannot be done without individual and specific permits/licenses.
Please feel free to browse USML Section 121 for what requires a US Department of State export permit for items leaving the US and BATFE form 6 for license to bring items into the USA.

THEIS

Edited To Add:
The issue becomes even bigger issue IF Peregrine (would be sending from the USA) to a specific dealer in CA that has been approved for x amount of quantity of y product under a US Department of State DSP 5 permit. Part of the approved permit requires the "End User" aka CA dealer to acknowledge they will NOT re export that product anywhere without obtaining US Department of State approval beforehand.

Now Peregrine coming from ZA bypasses those US regulations but the BATFE import regulations bringing items from CA to USA are still required.
Thanks. They are already fully approved for importing to the US and have a US distributorship. They've been working on this for several years and are starting to get them into some stores as well.

I got turned onto them in Africa in 2015 when I had some real problems with the Swift Sirocco's I'd taken for my 300 WM.

I never thought I'd live to prefer any of the non lead offerings that are available but these guys have some fantastic engineers producing some incredibly superior bullets specifically made for different applications.

From plinking to precision target rifle to dangerous game, medium game, lever action and pistol bullets they are incredibly consistent. Currently I'm running them in everything from my 6.5's to .30 cal's and will soon be loading them for my .375R and 45/70 as well.

https://www.peregrinemonolithics.com/

So far I've only loaded the VRG3 and 4's along with the VLR's and I'm pretty well sold on them.

I also get samples and prototypes from them to try and work up loads with and to share with others who want to give them a run.

260Rem, 264wm, 7mm STW, 300wm, and 300Rum are the calibers I've been running them in through at least two rifles of each caliber and I'm amazed with the consistency. Last year on 17 medium and large animals we had 17 bang flop one shot kills. Ranges ran from around 300 yards to over 750.

Out of some 47 coyotes taken at ranges from 100-540yds two took more than a couple of steps before expiring and the worst ran about fifty yards. I flat blew my wind call and hit him about mid rib.

What I like the best about them is the consistency of expansion. No holes bigger than about 1.5 diameter and all at least 1.5x bullet diameter.

I have yet to recover one from a deer or hog up to 450lbs even though the three biggest hogs I shot last year were shoulder shots.

The engineering of the expansion tip makes the machining process pretty complex and thus expensive but for each of the VRG3-4 expanding bullets they have a match bullet that have identical ballistic characteristics so you can do your load development with the cheaper bullets and when you have it nailed down switch over the the expanding bullets.

The expanding tip is made of a machined piece of brass and has an open cavity below it so expansion is achieved first by the physical push of the plunger down and then by essentially uploading the tip with extremely high pressure air.

That was some great planning on their part.

I know the two head guys at the company as they are friends of longtime friend and partner Francois vd Walt in the RSA. Super folks to deal with. Their distributor who also handles the internet sales here in the US Hermann Wiedeman is also an RSA expat and former USAF pilot who's primary job here is as an airline pilot who works on this on the side.

Super folks to deal with all the way around.

Sorry brotha rose that was my kid hitting some letters and submitting.
Free bump. Hshshs hshshs

I have some of these bullets but I have not loaded yet. Too hot and too much kids stuff to do.

On side note, rose, fishing trip cxld. I am not gonna swing by to see you and the dogs.

Give'm all a hug for Uncle CR. Sorry you can't make the trip, I was envious remembering all of my July and August trout expeditions in the past. I know what a treat it would be to get out of the S. TX heat for a week and enjoy some nice trout streams and ponds.

We need to get serious about putting together an annual Antelope hunt.

I got a place for antelope in NM. Just haven't gone. Gotta plan with the kids. See if I get get you a tag too for next year.

I got a place for antelope in NM. Just haven't gone. Gotta plan with the kids. See if I get get you a tag too for next year.
I probably have enough connections left out there to get it done too, I just want us to do it together and I can't think of anything I'd love more than helping them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts