Crosshairs or Target?

BergerBoy

I'm NOT a patriot... I am a U.S. Constitutionalist
I have been shooting with both eyes open for a little over a year now and it was a hard habit to break. Truth be told, I am still working through it.
I read several books and some have said not to stare at the target but the crosshairs and other books say to acquire the target when shooting. I have a bad habit of going from one to the other when I pull the trigger and it seems to affect my POI. I just wanted to know what you guys that shoot WITH BOOTH EYES OPEN think or what's your experience/advice.

Also I am researching parallax can anyone point me to a good video/article that is comprehensive.

Thank you.
God save the country from the idiots running it.

Learning to use a scope with both eyes open was difficult for me because of all the distractions that fell into my field of vision. Images that aren't there when sighting with one eye closed. But I eventually got used to it. I don't accept the theory of "focusing" on either the target or cross hairs. The optics are in focus so applying that term to what I'm actually doing, which is concentrating on one or the other, is IMO a misnomer. Once I've established an alignment of the cross hairs on the target I concentrate primarily on the target and squeeze off the round. But that doesn't mean I don't know where the cross hairs are at all times. I can be confident of that because when I pull a shot off center I am immediately aware of that when the rifle fires.

I just wanted to know what you guys that shoot WITH BOOTH EYES OPEN think or what's your experience/advice.

As FNW stated, I also align reticle with target (after setting proper parallax) then focus my POA on the POI.

Also I am researching parallax can anyone point me to a good video/article that is comprehensive.
Great info from CF HERE !

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.