Cross "eye" dominance

Bigeclipse

Is anyone here cross eye dominance (right handed but left eye dominate or vice versa)???

I am right handed and have shot my rifles and pistols by closing my left eye (dominant eye) and instead using my right eye my whole shooting career. I have been contemplating trying to use my left eye (dominant eye) for pistols since that is a relatively easy thing to train, simply hold the pistol a bit more to the left. However, I have ZERO desire to stop the way I shoot rifles. I shoot very well. I simply find target with both eyes open and close the left eye a bit before I shoot. I even do this shooting trap. I tried shooting left hand with my left eye for rifles and that is certainly a NO GO. The only reason I want to start using my dominate eye for pistols is to help with an actual real life defensive situation. It is always better to have both eyes open in a critical situation so you are able to see your entire field of view. My question is....does anyone here shoot with their non dominant eye for rifles and their dominate eye for pistols? Am I wasting my time and will cause too much confusion in my head with switching eyes? Thanks...I know this is a weird question.

I am a retired Leo and was cross eye dominate. I.e. Right handed left eye dominate. I put much time in at the range with my sidearm teaching myself how to shoot along with help from training staff. In my experience it is very possible to shoot rifle with your non dominate eye and pistol with your dominate eye. Added benefit to shooting pistol with your dominate eye is it will allow you to center your groups much more easily, I was trained shooting both eyes open regarding situational awareness. Bottom line put in the time at the range to shoot with your dominate eye it will pay dividends pistol hunting or in a high stress situation should you ever be placed in a defensive situation. (Regarding last comment, know your state and federal laws, and be prepared to articulate your circumstances).

I am a retired Leo and was cross eye dominate. I.e. Right handed left eye dominate. I put much time in at the range with my sidearm teaching myself how to shoot along with help from training staff. In my experience it is very possible to shoot rifle with your non dominate eye and pistol with your dominate eye. Added benefit to shooting pistol with your dominate eye is it will allow you to center your groups much more easily, I was trained shooting both eyes open regarding situational awareness. Bottom line put in the time at the range to shoot with your dominate eye it will pay dividends pistol hunting or in a high stress situation should you ever be placed in a defensive situation. (Regarding last comment, know your state and federal laws, and be prepared to articulate your circumstances).

Thank you. I definitely know my state laws and certainly never go looking for trouble. I will also resort to non violence and try to get out of a situation if possible. I really appreciate your advice!

I try to mix it up as much as possible, but for the most part I am left eye- right hand dominant and I do just that... shoot rifle right handed-right eye, pistols right handed-left eye.
Though for the most part I keep both eyes open when shooting pistol but bring the gun to the left side of my face.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. I shoot everything right handed. Shoot with both eyes open with all firearms. IMO best sight picture, using dominant eye, should be used for all shooting.

I too am left eye dominant and right handed. It's best to have both eyes open for less strain in your eye muscles esp for extended periods (you'll know when). I have both eyes during target acquisition and close my left eye just before squeezing the trigger, it works for me.

I can shoot looking through my left eye too but not the most optimum view (esp. at high magnification) and cheek weld.

I too am left eye dominant and right handed. It's best to have both eyes open for less strain in your eye muscles esp for extended periods (you'll know when).

I am right handed but strongly left eye dominant. Shoot all long guns from the lefty side. Shoot a revolver with my right hand, and the left eye automatically takes over for the sight alignment part.

I have taught Hunter Safety for many years and see many kids/adults who are LE dominant and don't know it. But its easy to spot. And difficult to change over once that muscle memory/mind have been conditioned. And especially for a shotgun shooting flying.

IMHO all kids who are LE dominant should be taught to shoot from the L. shoulder but I can see how you could shoot a scoped rifle from the right side. Just my .02 cents.:cool:

NB

I am right handed but strongly left eye dominant. Shoot all long guns from the lefty side. Shoot a revolver with my right hand, and the left eye automatically takes over for the sight alignment part.

I have taught Hunter Safety for many years and see many kids/adults who are LE dominant and don't know it. But its easy to spot. And difficult to change over once that muscle memory/mind have been conditioned. And especially for a shotgun shooting flying.

IMHO all kids who are LE dominant should be taught to shoot from the L. shoulder but I can see how you could shoot a scoped rifle from the right side. Just my .02 cents.:cool:

NB

If taught early on and able to adapt, then that's the way to go. I tried that at an early age but never got comfortable with it. However, I've adapted very well using my right eye effectively for the last 43+ years ... I must be doing something right. :Dgun)

When I was in active duty during M-16 qualification, the combat arms instructor wanted me to shoot left handed and follow my left eye dominance. I told him I've done it before but he still want to see it. I shot better groups if all I have to do is pull the trigger and hit the target. However, I have to do it in a timely manner, so he agreed to stick with what works for me.

The bottom-line is to use what best work for the end user. The only thing I naturally do with my left eye is shooting a sling shot. Unlike my bow, I pull the sling shot with my left hand and aim with my left eye ... go figure, :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.