Crooked 338 Barnes lrx?

Years ago I had a benchrest friend who made and sold bullets. He told me that the tip damage of a bullet does not matter. What matter is the base ring of the bullet if it is damaged a bullet will not shoot. He even claimed he would shoot his bullets loaded backwards to prove his point. What he was refering to then was the then plastic tipped bullets to protect the nose of the bullet. The story those days was that the flattened lead tips would effect accuracy. Today both tips are still used and we see hollow point hunting bullets wich was supposed to not work.

Yea I sent them a pic and they are supposed to be sending some replacements. Not sure when though. Took them a few days to reply but they were nice about it. We will see how it pans out though.

Barnes is still pretty good with customer service even since they've been bought by Remington. They recently sent me 5 each of .257 cal 100 gr TSX and TTSX for free so I could be sure they'd stabilize in my Savage 99 in 250 Sav. They've always been good to me so I'll continue to use them.

morning, I have shot barnes bullets since existence. I have never had a problem
with there accuracy. if anything the accuracy has gotten much better. the
performance in field is very constant. the crooked tip problem should addressed
by Barnes. I have shot LRX and TTSX bullets with crooked tips with no
adverse performance issues. today with the mass demand for
shooting supplies and loaded ammo we r lucky to b supplied with ammo.
the ammo industry makes more profits off loaded ammo than in shooting
supplies. TUM Thank U much

So as an update to this, barnes made it good in my opinion. They sent me 3 new boxes to replace what I had. It appears that it is all from the same lot but these look a bit better. Still a few wonky ones that shouldn't make it through qc but I'm happy. It seems like the number of crooked tips is only a few per box compared to 1/3-1/2 before. I have to say thank you to barnes for doing their very best to take care of a customer.

I loaded up the box of LRX I had, shot a few 3 shot 500 yard groups and a couple milk jugs. My vertical was 1/3moa, windage just over half moa which is still pretty decent for the setup I was shooting from. I will stretch it out a bit further once hjnting season is over, but it seems like the plastic tips being a bit off doesnt affect much.

I recently bought 2 boxes of Barnes .366 250 grain TTSX's. Out of the 100 bullets I've examined, only one bullet appeared to be a bit off-center and one other had a chipped piece off the tip. These were used for fowling my barrel, but were as accurate as my other loads. I also have a couple of boxes of Barnes TTSX in 140 grain 7mm all looked near perfect. I've seen similar defects in other brands of bullets that I've purchased and find this level of quality control acceptable. That said I might be concerned if I found more than 5 or 6 bullets in 50 that were defective.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.