Criterion / Savage build in 25-06

stu837

Hey folks, just wanted to show everyone my recent build. Other than a much needed paint-job, its basically finished!

Components:
- Savage 111 action
- Boyd's Classic stock - with plywood/bondo buildup of grip
- homemade Kydex (.09" thick) cheekpiece
- CBI Criterion barrel - Lite Varmint Contour, 24" (from Jim Briggs, highly recommended)
- precision recoil lug (also from Jim Briggs)
- Warne Tactical Base (steel)
- Seekins 30mm Rings - medium height
- SWFA 5-20x50 scope
- Pillar bedded with Devcon epoxy

IMG_1635640x480_zpsdc18bd5a.jpg

IMG_1636_zps4a82bb99.jpg

IMG_1633640x480_zpsf72f3f7a.jpg

IMG_1704640x480640x480_zpsf64cafee.jpg

Shoots pretty good too.
Nosler 100gr. Ballistic Tip
Remington brass
CCI Benchrest primers
IMR-4350

The following groups are all loaded with either 47.8, 47.9 or 48.0 grains of powder. They're booking at about 2950 fps.

In regards to IMR4350, does anyone have any experience with it in terms of temperature stability? These are my first loads using it.

IMG_1700480x640480x640_zps15af7b81.jpg

IMG_1701640x480_zps27c303a0.jpg

Good looking rifle, I love what you've done with the grip. I can only say h4350 is fairly stable, RUMOR has it imr4350 is less temp stable but I have not tested and can't verify that. If you see too much fluctuation you may want to try hodgdons version. Somebody out here has to have put it threw it's paces in the real world so I'll have to leave it to them. Nice rifle,good luck.

Thanks D.ID, I'm going to continue collecting chronograph information. We'll have to see how the velocity and groups behave as it warms up in the spring. I've also read on some forums that a powder's stability can also depend on the cartridge it is used in. Anyone else with experience on the subject feel free to chime in!

You don't mention what your intentions are for this rig. It looks great so far.

I would suggest looking at RL-22, and possibly moving up to the 115gr bullet range.

I have had a wonderful relation with the 115gr Partition and RL-22 oign o 20 years ro so, and groups have stayed in the same 1/2" or so since buying the rifle back in the early 80's.

As for stability, with the load I am using I have never had an issue with it in temps ranging from around 10 degrees up to the low 100's.

Don't dismiss it while your working on loads.

If you want to shoot 100 gr bullets and IMR 4350 you ain't there yet. Work up to 52 grs which is about max but this is usually the standard tack driving load for the 25-06 with 100 gr bullets. This will get you around 3250 fps. The 25-06 likes to do it's thing right at max loads. I have not had any problems with IMR 4350 and temp changes but I don't get out and shoot when it is 90 to 100* all that much. For one thing in the mountains of TN it does not get that hot often and when it does I find a cool spot down by the river until it cools down. :D
I have been hearing good things about RL22 with 115 to 120 gr bullets.
My deer loads for the 25-06 consist of either 49 grs IMR 4350 or 52 grs H-4831 with the 117 Sierra. It depends on the rifle. My custom 26" Shilen barrel Rem 700 likes the 49 grs IMR 4350 with 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullet the best and it does 3000 fps. I have used a good deal of different makers bullets experimenting on killing white tail deer as a control hunter in east NC and I really like the Sierra. Accurate and it does a number on a deer. Bang flop.

By the way that is a good looking set up you have.

thanks RT2506,
I've been using 100gr bullets mostly since this is for coyotes and groundhogs primarily, with deer and hopefully hogs on the side. I'm loading on the light side to hopefully preserve the barrel a little longer. I burned out my factory barrel shooting them hot!
Have you shot enough on a barrel chambered in 25-06 to burn it out? If you have, how many rounds did it take you?

If i go up in bullet weight in the future i'll give your recipes a try!

No I have not shot out a barrel in any of my 25-06. The only one that I have kept for a looooooog time is my custom Shilen barreled Rem 700 that I have had about 17 years. I don't just go to the range and shoot it a lot. It is a hunting rifle. If you don't shoot it hot or just go out and shoot it a bunch just to be shooting it they will last you a long time. About any bullet you use will not be fur friendly from a 25-06. The 87 gr Sierra is a BOMB. I have shot it some for ground hogs and it scatters pieces.

I finally got to stretch out to 500 yards on the new build. You can see its a little windy with the horizontal spread, but overall its shooting alright.

Vertical spread ended up being about 2.25 inches at 500 yards.

I used this data to validate my trajectory using the ballistics calculator on the site and it seems to be dead on now.
Time to go out and start having some real fun!

I don't have a 25-06 but I use IMR 4350 and H 4350 for my .260 Remington loads. The H 4350 is more temp stable by a wide margin in my estimation but the IMR 4350 is more accurate out of my rifle. Go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.