Criterion barrels???

Creedmoor shooter

Im doing my first build. Im building on a Savage model 12 in 22-250. Ive already got a H-S Precision M24 stock on it and I'll be buying the barrel soon. I was wondering how many of you guys had experience with the savage pre-fit of the Criterion line. I've heard great stuff about them but I'm looking for some more opinions. I plan on it chambered in the 6.5 Creed or possibly a 260 AI with a Varmint contour.

I have 1, it is a 30" bull .308 1-11 twist for 1000 yard FTR Shooting. I like it ,I score decently with it. Wind reading skills hold me back not the barrel. I have witnessed many others on the line in multiple disciplines that have won with them. I would definitely buy another. If not that it would be an X-Caliber. I am getting used to a new one in .243 for PRS type shooting that is very promising.

I have a Criterion 26" 7.5 twist varmint contour in 260 AI on a Savage 111. I've only shot it at 100 yards so far, but it easily puts 140 grain Amaxs into under a half inch at over 3000 FPS. I'm also running a vortex viper pst 6-24, boyds pro varmint stock, ptg bottom metal, and precision armament brake on that rifle.

I also will be trying 140 grain eld-m and 140 grain CEB MTH bullets in that rifle. i expect great results.

I have a Criterion 26" 7.5 twist varmint contour in 260 AI on a Savage 111. I've only shot it at 100 yards so far, but it easily puts 140 grain Amaxs into under a half inch at over 3000 FPS. I'm also running a vortex viper pst 6-24, boyds pro varmint stock, ptg bottom metal, and precision armament brake on that rifle.

I also will be trying 140 grain eld-m and 140 grain CEB MTH bullets in that rifle. i expect great results.

Whats your load data on that 260 AI? Im just wondering if that extra velocity is worth my trouble for finding brass and stuff for it. Ive got a 4-16 vortex ps-t mounted on it and i also plan on going with a 24in barrel. This rifles primary purpose will be for whitetail out to 600 yards and informal target shooting out to 800-1000 yards.

My max load is 46.5 grains of imr 4831 with a 140 Amax, Remington brass and Federal 210 primers. With that i was getting about 3050 FPS with only some slight primer flattening. I started to get some slight pressure signs around 47.5 grains, and foolishly I tried to push it to a max and had a primer rupture at 49 grains. It messed up my bolt and i just got it back from the smith a week ago. I need to take it out now to re-zero. I hope groups are still as good as they were.

I have a 26" Criterion on a Remage (I cut a notch in a Remington action to accept a Savage recoil lug and barrel nut). It shoots very well, around .5moa at longer ranges. I would definitely buy another.

I have Criterion,
7mm RM 24" Remage. ☆☆☆☆
6.5 284 24" Savage ☆☆
6mm BR norma 30" ☆☆☆☆☆

One thing that made me go to McGowan on my current build is Criterion has minimum 6 month wait for a blank, unless Jim at Northland Shooters Supply has what you want in stock. Most of his inventory in recent years has been 24" though.

I have one in a 6.5 Sherman. Still putting the build together. Dennis at My Accurate Barrel did it. Great guy to deal with.

Criterion have great reviews, either way you go you'll love it, just did my first build on a Savage model 12, .223 also, bought a Shilen select match S.S. 28" from Jim at northland, in 6.5 Creedmoor, gun shoots awesome. Good guy to deal with.

We have discussed this already, so, you know my experience and opinion of them, but from what all I'm reading, I guess they've stepped-up their game over the last few years.

Best of luck in your endeavor, and I hope your Criterion shoots good. I am interested to read your results.

Have you decided to go .260 AI?

We have discussed this already, so, you know my experience and opinion of them, but from what all I'm reading, I guess they've stepped-up their game over the last few years.

Best of luck in your endeavor, and I hope your Criterion shoots good. I am interested to read your results.

Have you decided to go .260 AI?

I decided to go with the Creed. For my purpose is a 600 yard whitetail rifle with informal 800-1000 yard target shooting. I didn't need the extra velocity because the 6.5. Creed is very capapble of this. Just not worth the hassle of brass and stuff for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts