crisp holes in targets

adk hunter

Has anyone notice sometimes how black and crisp holes look with some loads or pics? Is there any data of value to deduce from this. Not sure this is a real or means anything per se.

What's the temperature like outside when it happens?

Black crisp holes sound like hot metal hit your target

What's the load? Is it copper or straight lead? And is it soft pure lead or lead with an alloy mixed in which makes it harder. I'd suspect a load with a soft heavy pure lead is hitting your target and retaining a lot of heat, try a backstop of old clothes or something and see if your black crisp holes are also having soft molten deformed bullets further down range which might not be so good for hunting, I've been told that soft hot lead that hits an animal won't penetrate bone cleanly it expands too much, kinda the old Buffalo bullets vs hollow point argument and how the buffalo bullets that are blunt soft lead projectiles are just as damaging as a good expanding hollow point that disperses all its energy on impact and expands into a fat disk when it hits a solid object and doesn't penetrate through ... but that's just my two cents and a lot of unscientific knowledge I've picked up from old timers

Hope some of this helps you in your deductions and doesn't send you on a wild goose chase

My thoughts are more in line with Lance. i shoot mostly ttsx bullets but I do strive to lean the target perpendicular to my shots and angle as well. I will play with posting a few pics too...

This has proven to be a super repeatable load with accuracy over all conditions and not the best photo I am looking for to explain. Groups that are wider moa seem to be more ragged too sometimes

Attachments

• IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 116
These differences are most likely related to target orientation and have nothing to do with loads. Some things I've noticed that will produce "out of round" holes or more ragged tears are angle of bullet entry, rigidity of the target, wind moving the target, etc.

A laminated target works great secured with binder clips. I have shot a few B27 Targets and similar that were laminated. No mistaking holes. This isn't a very cost effective practice. LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.