Crimp or not?

justinp61

I have loaded shot gun and pistol shells for years but am new to rifle loading. I picked up everything to load for my new Savage FVSS 22-250. I bought 55 gr Hornady V-Max bullets, they have no cannelure. Do I need any crinp?

Thanks

No need to crimp for a bolt action rifle, especially a 22-250. Many Thousands of rounds loaded for 22 centerfires and I've never ever crimped a round.

Some people do with semi-auto's but I don't know that it's absolutely necessary. Some do it on hard kicking guns too.?

You'll most likely get better accuracy and more consistent neck tension by not crimping.

Last edited:
I have done some testing and have found that with "normal" bolt rifle chambers where you can get the bullets closer to the lands crimping is not necessary for best accuracy. But I have discovered in most of the old military rifles that have looooooooog throats and generous chambers the use of a Lee Factory Crimp Die has improved accuracy greatly for me. It has also improved accuracy in the loads that I use in my M1 Garand and my AR15 with certain loads.

Agree with what RT2506 has written. I recently polled gents I shoot with about crimping their reloads. These guys have been reloading centerfire rifles much longer than I and are much more serious about accuracy than I and certainly have much more invested in their rifles and equipment than me. General consensus on criimping....don't do it unless ammo is for some semi auto rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.