Crimp or No Crimp?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

I did a search to get some feedback on crimping but it wasn't conclusive.

I have everything from .257 Roberts to 338WM to 450Bushmaster, all bolt guns. How many folks crimp there loads in this range and vs non crimping, have seen any differences? I've only recently started trying crimps with my magnum loads. thanks

I have everything from .257 Roberts to 338WM to 450Bushmaster, all bolt guns. How many folks crimp there loads in this range and vs non crimping, have seen any differences? I've only recently started trying crimps with my magnum loads. thanks
It depends on the recoil of the round.if it is enough that I think it might slam into the clip I will crimp to stop the bullet from going back into the case.Anything like the 338,375 or the 450 I will crimp.Anything I am wanting better accuracy like my 25-06 or my 280 I won't

I always try to find a bullet with cannelure groove for any cartridge that will be used in a tubular magazine rifle. I'll crimp into the cannelure groove is possible, I will try to put a very marginal crimp on the 45-70 bullets, even if they don't have a cannelure groove; the 45-70, 300 grain Nosler Ballistic Silvertip is one bullet like this. This can however be very tricky because if you put too much crimp the entire case will crinkle up and brass will fold on the sides. I have found that some people like to crimp with bottle necked cases that have a heavy recoil. The theory behind this concept is to prevent the bullet from backing out due to the heavy recoil. I believe that crimping or not to crimp is somewhat subjective and I suspect that you will receive a number of responses with different points of view on this subject.

Crimping is at it's best when used on heavy recoiling rifles with heavy bullets and cases with thin necks/mouths. Thin necks cant exert enough tension to hold the bullets well and they can shift position. Straight sided cases are known for this and the reason most recommend crimping on these cartridges.

Before we had the variety of powders we have today, some magnums benefited from crimping because it contained the bullet milliseconds longer improving the powder burn. Also at one time, lots of bullets came with a cannelure for this reason. Now that we have the variety of powers and better dies, there is very little advantage in crimping to most calibers/cartridges. But some still require crimping for best performance.

The best thing to do is test the rifle with and without crimping To find out if it benefits the performance. (Accuracy and/or velocity)

J E CUSTOM

I used to crimp my .338-06 loads. The rifle (Savage) would consistently produce 1.5" groups at 200 yards and for my hunting purposes that was just fine. Sent the barreled action off to get Cerakoted and when I got it back it wouldnt shoot the load I had developed for it at all. I went round and round with it and finally got it back to shooting where it was supposed to......with a different seating depth and powder charge, but NO crimp.

I personally don't crimp for anything except tube fed rifles. When you crimp you change your neck tension which can produce over pressure which may cause damage to your rifle. My experience is blown primers which damaged my firing pin. Pressure can be dangerous!!