Creedmoor primers

The cold didn't bug me until it dipped below -30°. Hunted pheasants a lot at -20° to -30° seemed like the birds held better the colder it was. Would like to get back up there next winter for some bird hunting.
cold doesn't really bother me either... it's the extreme cold and wind combined... used to ice fish without gloves on in below zero conditions... I once had my Ram pickup's thermometer read OC... out of calibration... from the cold... it started without being plugged in that morning... mainly as I had driven off with it plugged in the morning before messing up my block heater cold.

cold doesn't really bother me either... it's the extreme cold and wind combined... used to ice fish without gloves on in below zero conditions... I once had my Ram pickup's thermometer read OC... out of calibration... from the cold... it started without being plugged in that morning... mainly as I had driven off with it plugged in the morning before messing up my block heater cold.
Definitely don't miss the wind up there. Terrible in the winter and non-existent in the summer when a breeze would be nice.

Funny, I would rather be outside all day at -20° than step out the door at 100°. I worked in N.D. for several years, coldest I worked in was -56° not including what the 40+ mph wind added for wind chill.
Yeah, I am from AZ. Screw that. My blood is way to thin for that.

Ok so my oldest son has caught the Creedmoor bug. He doesn't know it , but is getting one on his b- day on Saturday. I've already got the rifle , dies , 3 boxes of Nosler brand ammo 120 gr ballistic tips , and I thought I done good by buying a 50 count box of Hornady brass. I was just reading in another thread here about the Hornady brass and others are saying brand x uses a large primer and brand q uses a small rifle ? Why the hell would there be different size primers in the same caliber? I've been reloading for 10 ish yrs and this is the first I've heard tell of this . But maybe I don't get out much. Can someone please explain. Is the small rifle primer more accurate maybe ? And if so why would they create such maddening differences

270wsm, I'm glad you started this thread, as I will likely be loading for my granddaughters 6.5 CM. Like you, I've handloader a while (only 52 or 53 years) but wasn't aware of this situation with the CM. I was familiar with the .308 Win. having both large and small primers (many years ago)....and the purpose for such! It looks like I better step in and make sure that she "only" acquires large primer brass. As she will be hunting, with temperatures potentially down to or slightly below....I don't want to risk poor ignition. memtb

I'm using Lapua sp brass ( ordered from Midway) yes for hunting and as stated above allows for a bit hotter load I believe do to the primer producing less pressure allowing for the use of more powder.
Anyhow works for me as I am getting 2800 fps out of my mtn Accent with 22" barrel pushing 143g ELDx.
I have heard all the precautions of possible misfires with sp (after I purchased $400 worth of Lapua sp brass ) so I have shot in 0 degree weather and have also put several rounds in deep freeze for days and then shot them and have yet to have a miss or hang fire.
Oh yea, that is also without a magnum primer... using cci br4 primers with RL 16.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.