Creedmoor primers

wv270wsm

Ok so my oldest son has caught the Creedmoor bug. He doesn't know it , but is getting one on his b- day on Saturday. I've already got the rifle , dies , 3 boxes of Nosler brand ammo 120 gr ballistic tips , and I thought I done good by buying a 50 count box of Hornady brass. I was just reading in another thread here about the Hornady brass and others are saying brand x uses a large primer and brand q uses a small rifle ? Why the hell would there be different size primers in the same caliber? I've been reloading for 10 ish yrs and this is the first I've heard tell of this . But maybe I don't get out much. Can someone please explain. Is the small rifle primer more accurate maybe ? And if so why would they create such maddening differences

if you shoot the rifle in cold temps., you really don't want the small rifle primer. It provides a softer/milder ignition (should be a bit more accurate) that is just fine with normal temps and faster burn rate powders, but toss in cold temp or hard to ignite powder, and you may well have a hang fire or no fire. I live in N.D. so I won't even buy the sr stuff for my kid's rifle.

Hornady spent a truck load of money testing powder and primers before releasing this cartridge. They settled on H4350 and I don't remember which primer, but I think it was listed on the loaded ammo box.
I've been loading it for 10 years and shoot 210m and H4350 into little knot holes.

I use Lapua SRP brass w. Fed GM205M primers for my 6CM. I would say they are "accurate". I have yet to shoot them below 15°F, but they worked well at those temps. I have never had issues with my AR shooting coyotes down to -4°F. Which was as cold as I would never want to hunt again. I am from AZ.....and those temps are miserable for me. I would rather hunt at 110°+ than -10°. Unless you gave me a....no....never mind.

Why the hell would there be different size primers in the same caliber?
Pressure & brass life.
A small primer pocket leaves more brass around pockets. If you run stout loads that open large rifle pockets quickly , you might shift to small pockets to get more life.
If you do, start over with load development (at least other brand/model primer testing).

I have had good luck with both Winchester and Federal match large rifle primers in 6.5. Small rifle primers seem to be more for the competitive shooter in controlled environments. For a hunting rifle, stick with plain ole large rifle primer brass. Nearly every brand offers a large rifle primer version for the 6.5 other than Lapua, that I'm aware of.

Small rifle primers seem to be more for the competitive shooter in controlled environments. For a hunting rifle, stick with plain ole large rifle primer brass. Nearly every brand offers a large rifle primer version for the 6.5 other than Lapua, that I'm aware of.
Lapua has SRP & LRP 6.5CM brass. So does Alpha & ADG.
Not sure why you would say SRP is for competitive shooters. They handle pressure better than LRP brass. So with hot hunting loads, SRP brass lasts longer than LRP brass. I am not a competitive shooter, but SRP was my choice in my 6CM. I think accuracy is just as important in a hunting rifle as it is in a PRS rifle. Because if you miss POA on steel/paper by 6", you miss points. If you miss POA on an animal by 6", you end up with wounded game.

Lapua has SRP & LRP 6.5CM brass. So does Alpha & ADG.
Not sure why you would say SRP is for competitive shooters. They handle pressure better than LRP brass. So with hot hunting loads, SRP brass lasts longer than LRP brass. I am not a competitive shooter, but SRP was my choice in my 6CM. I think accuracy is just as important in a hunting rifle as it is in a PRS rifle. Because if you miss POA on steel/paper by 6", you miss points. If you miss POA on an animal by 6", you end up with wounded game.
Don't really care to debate this topic as I don't care one way or another what someone chooses for brass, primer or otherwise. I didn't say everyone that runs SRP is a competitive shooter. Most seem to be however.
In a hunting rifle, with all things being equal, there is no appreciable difference in accuracy in SRP vs LRP in a 6.5. Unless of course you're in a cold, wet, nasty hunting scenario and the SRP fails to fully ignite. Then you may end up with a 6" miss. In reality though, the 6" miss you mentioned comes down to the shooter, not the primer they chose...

I think Jim Kauber summed it up nicely:
"Observations, personal opinion and what you didn't see:
Looking at the performance data for these calibers, the 260 SRP clearly had the lowest SDs and ESs. The 6.5 Creedmoor LRP had lower SDs and ESs in 3 of 5 firings and the 6 Creedmoor SDs were essentially the same though the LRP exhibited slightly lower ESs. So, at least in our 300 shot LRP/SRP comparison test, there wasn't the monumental SRP performance advantage over the LRP like anticipated, actually just the opposite occurred. The differences for the most part were insignificant when it comes to range performance."
https://alphamunitions.com/kaubers-corner-large-vs-small-rifle-primers/

Last edited:
with both LR and SR primer cases. I used Wolf LR/LRM, S&B LR and CCI BR2/250 in LR cases and BR2's had the best precision loads and lowest SD's using a Bob C. 141.5gr.. In tests in the SR primed case, Wolf SRM's worked out best with the same bullet. This was with a 26" barrel. I don't know if this can be applied to any set-up but my own. I was using a Ruger Prec. Rifle and H4350 powder.

I ended up using the CCI 450, ( small rifle magnum ), for SRP. This gave me the lowest sd.

For LRP brass I use regular CCI 200.

I use Lapua SRP brass w. Fed GM205M primers for my 6CM. I would say they are "accurate". I have yet to shoot them below 15°F, but they worked well at those temps. I have never had issues with my AR shooting coyotes down to -4°F. Which was as cold as I would never want to hunt again. I am from AZ.....and those temps are miserable for me. I would rather hunt at 110°+ than -10°. Unless you gave me a....no....never mind.
Funny, I would rather be outside all day at -20° than step out the door at 100°. I worked in N.D. for several years, coldest I worked in was -56° not including what the 40+ mph wind added for wind chill.

6.t cm isnt the only cal----6.8 spc was originally produced by remington with lrp, now all most all the other brands are srp--i use srmag primers for that cal

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.