Crazy 7mm build

I have a 25" 7 saum that pushes 180 ELD-M's at 2960 fps. It is built on a long action but if the rule of 20-30fps speed loss per inch of barrel cut off my rifle would still run the 180's at 2900 fps.
The 7 saum is a kickass caliber.

I have a 25" 7 saum that pushes 180 ELD-M's at 2960 fps. It is built on a long action but if the rule of 20-30fps speed loss per inch of barrel cut off my rifle would still run the 180's at 2900 fps.
The 7 saum is a kickass caliber.

It really is, this is my first go round with a magnum other than loading for dad's 6.5 SAUM but it's incredibly hard to argue against given the great number of moderately heavy weight projectiles with ultra high BCs, couple that with low recoil on a light-med weight rifle and it's downright remarkable. What's your OAL with the 7 SAUM with 180gr ELD-M? That's the one thing that bullet is 1.535" long lol i've still got plenty of room in the mag if i wanted to get the chamber throated a little bit but right now it's shooting so well that i'm not touching a thing.

I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

Keep in mind a couple things

1: I don't care if it is a flame thrower out the end of the barrel.

2: I don't care if the barrel only lasts 700 rounds.

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.

I have a 22" 7mm Rem Mag that runs the 168gr Berger @ 3024fps with 69gr Retumbo.

I do not know you or your works so this is not a reply on your abilities.

BS sells short term, as you know. Long term, sincerity, knowledge, wisdom and hard work grow a business and make it solid.
I am not tooting my own horn. Just that there are so many people that think their new best will change the world. When you think about it the gun world has laws that never change. Match bullets are not hunting bullets. If a magnum you need a long enough barrel. Some would like to change your mind with persuasion but things really do not change. Take bergers. I refuse to use them on game. Their mo is to get in 4 inches and then come apart. Is 4 inches all the way to the other side? I am a 2 holes guy. I have never lost game from too hard a bullet but I sure have from too soft.

I am about to start a 7mm build. Keep in mind this will be a hunting rifle for 7-800yd max range. After running a 20" 6.5cm and loving the short barrel I am thinking about a 22" 7mm. Also I want to run the 180 eldm. I want to run around 2900fps. I was thinking a 7saum but recently saw Gunwerks building 22" 28nosler rifles. What are your thoughts on a 28n with a 22" bbl??

3: I think I can run a little faster powder (4831sc vs h1000) to optimize the short barrel.
Just my experience.... If you load excessive powder and have powder still burning as the bullet leaves the barrel accuracy is hurt tremendously. Not saying you will but the rifle might shoot 3000 or close but if you can't hit a house standing inside of it what's the use. Some of the things I read are astounding to me. The reason we go out and shoot 8-10 recipes is to find the one that that particular barrel likes the best. It will not be the one looks like a roman candle when shot.

Doe taken at 525yds yesterday with a 180gr eld-m out of my 7 SS with a MV of 2900fps. Barrel is a 24" proof sendero. Entrance was on the back end of the shoulder absolutely destroying her front right shoulder she had nearly 360 degree movement after. Through both sides of the rib cage and exit. Didn't find the bullet. So can't really say just yet. I took a smaller doe at 378yds two days earlier she was DRT. This one remarkably ran about 20yds and that was it. But yeah the 180gr eld m at 2900 caries some serious energy out to distance. That BC and form factor no doubt seems to be true. Both my kestrel and calculators have been spot on with it.
View attachment 166769

I do think the SAUM or 7 SS would be the way to go for short action. 180gr ELD-M has a ton of bearing surface though I've not seen many people get them over 2950 with a short action magnum. Granted haven't talked to the WSM crowd. With 59.8gr of RL26 I'm getting 2900fps. But I've hit pressure at 60 and anything above is a right bolt. Could just be my scenario though, others are faring betting in that regard. Thus far i love the 180gr ELD-M and if I'm going true short action I'd go 7 SS still. It just offers a lot of OAL advantages compared to the 7 SAUM and here's a prime example of dads 6.5 SAUM next to my 7 SS.
View attachment 166770
Ruger compact mag case for the 7?

I am with cohunt above. Why not 7 wsm, better than saum? I love the other choices, have all of them, but in a 22 in barrel sort of defeats purpose of more powder capcity unless your desire is giant foreballs. Lol. To each their own. If that is your desire dont forget 7 dakota, 7 weatherby, 7 rum etc. Live my 28 nos but using 27 in barrel, shoots 195 bergers at 3050 without hard push.