Crampons?

mudygmc

Hello, just curious how many guys wear crampons hunting. I hunt solo mostly and am trying my best to avoid the slide to the bottom. I have a couple pairs of chain and cable models. One even has shaped carbide pieces over the cable. They have a rubber band that goes1-1.5in up the side of my boots. In really steep terrain they will roll off the side of my boot. They also don't really make a big difference in traction. Yes some but not like a guy would hope. Curious if you guys use crampons, which ones, and what you think of them. I'm not going to climb a glacier anytime soon but steep snow covered grass and rock are fairly common. Just looking for ideas to keep myself safe hunting solo.

Adam

I've never hunted in crampons, but I have used them mountain climbing. You'll need boots that are designed for crampons (mountaineering boots), and you'll need to be careful as it's fairly easy to tear/cut your pant leg with the sharp tips. Good gaiters help.
I've used black diamond & petzel. Both worked well.

I've only used real, heavy duty crampons for genuine mountaineering, and I don't enjoy wearing them. I like Kahtoola microspikes, but not everyone does. Something like a lightweight ten-point non-technical crampon could be right up your alley, and any heavy-ish hiking boots should work with them.

I've only used real, heavy duty crampons for genuine mountaineering, and I don't enjoy wearing them. I like Kahtoola microspikes, but not everyone does. Something like a lightweight ten-point non-technical crampon could be right up your alley, and any heavy-ish hiking boots should work with them.

Awesome I appreciate the info. I will see what I can find

Adam

I use trekking poles anytime I pack game and most of the time in steep terrain. They are Definetly worth their weight. Looking for foot traction ideas. Kahtoola microspikes are around 60. So not bad. I will probably pick up a set.

Adam

I think crampons will cause serious problems in timber and maybe even injuries.
boot chains might help some but when you step on a branch pointing downhill in snow when traveling you're going to be on your butt no mater what. I have all my boots resoled to huge air bobs right after I get them and it has made a big difference for me. I hit the ground much less often now even when on really steep terrain.
Good Hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hillsound trail crampons are also a good choice IMO. They have an extra strap that looks like it helps keep things more secure on the feet.

yaktrax are lighter weight and more packable than crampons. They also aren't as good but they're better than nothing.

I've got a couple pairs of yaktrax. They are fine for walking on a frozen lake. About useless in hills and snow.

Adam

Kahtoola microspikes here too. Light weight and really help, I wear them with Lowa sheep hunters and they don't slip off in scree/snow

Ive used Grivel universal fit aluminum crampons last 15 years for high country muley hunting.Light easy to just lash to pack.When in that tougher country I do run a mountaineer type boot like a Aslos G5,or scarpa.But run them many times on my ankle high Crispis's.Always have a gaiter that ti of year.Great for getting up to tough spots,When I was younger I could pull straight up slide chutes which clear way to top.Buddy and I shot 2 bulls down in steep hole,just crampon up and straight to them,guy with us had to detour,to dangerous for him on chute. You can also detune them if you want with a grinder easy,I did a small amount.Or they wear in on rock. On those first snows with no base and bear grass etc is where they really shine,its just like having 4 wheel drive.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the Kathoolas that are nice on ice, but I feel they dont add much for me in snow on steep slopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.