crampons for kenetrek mtn extremes

wc870

I have a Boy Scout winter hike/campout coming up and we will be hiking in the cascade mountains NY. It will be icy, Looking for input on something decent that won't wreck my boots and won't fall apart, we only do this hike once a year so I don't need anything for extreme mountaineering. thanks Wc

I've had a set of kahtoola microspikes for over a decade. I wear them a lot when ice fishing or for temporary traction if I hit an icy spot on a trail. They are extremely durable and slip over boots easily. Easily the best set of 'ice grippers' I've come across. This on a size 11 pac boot.

Xa4yHUW.jpg

xvMUJYD.jpg

They also fit my 10.5 hiking boots just fine too. I can highly recommend them from experience. I repurposed a durable bag and they accompany me from October until May/June in my pack. My family all have a set and they get used all over Montana.. One word of caution- they are NOT intended to wear if you are hiking very rocky terrain. You will not have traction on stone. It's for really ice/packed snow covered sections. You will need to remove them (which is simple) to traverse that terrain. Trust me on this one!

thanks guys I ordered a set just like that but not either of those brands, hopefully they work out ok. If not i will get a set of either of those. some of the other scouts had got some amazon copies of those and they are holding up ok so far so I grabbed a set. I guess I'll find out saturday. We got word theres 3' of snow where we are going so we might be on snowshoes instead. Thanks again
Wc