craftsman Model# 101.21200 lathe?

jasent

Any one have one of these lathes, any comments or tip/advice. Looking at buying one. Just wondered if it's worth while.....$400 with 6 carbide bits

my first project is making a gas check maker, I know with the chuck that lathe has I won't be able to true up actions or crowns but would like to eventually get one I can

When a friend died, I got a 1938 Atlas Craftsman lathe 101.07402 12x36 deluxe with Timken tapered roller bearings 1939 tailstock.

That lathe has many parts in common with yours
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/3442.pdf
Craftsman 6-inch Mk2. Lathe

3x4mule2009270130grBTdoublelungshot.jpg

I rebarrelled this pre 64 Win M70 to 270 with a Pac Nor feather weight taper barrel in that lathe.

I could get enough of the muzzle though the headstock and worked the breech in the steady rest.

The lathe is ok for chambering and cutting threads, but it will not remove large amounts of steel quickly. It is not stiff enough and it is not powerful enough.

I would not try to make a barrel vise on that lathe.
I would not try to work on a bull barrel in that lathe.
I would not try to taper a barrel in that lathe.
It is not quickchange gears, so to change from Mauser threads [12 TPI] to Remington threads [16 TPI] is 5 or 10 minute of getting my hands dirty.

The one really good thing you can say about that lathe is that one man can move it in his car.

Attachments

• AtlasLatheChangeGears.jpg
    AtlasLatheChangeGears.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 106
Any one have one of these lathes, any comments or tip/advice. Looking at buying one. Just wondered if it's worth while.....$400 with 6 carbide bits

Unless it is junk any lathe is worth $400.00.

The thing is , will it do what you want.

I would recommend that if you want to do some Gun Smithing now or later that you try to find
a gear head lathe with threading capability and at least a 1 and 1/2'' spindle The normal barrel
blank Is 1.250 Diameter. A 2" spindle is ideal.

Also a 42''+ bed is needed (36'' Minimum to do most barrel work).

It looks like a nice lathe but the precision may not be good enough. I started with a hobby lathe
and fought it all the way. Finally I found a bigger/heaver lathe and have been very happy.

It is still not the best for Smithing but cost was a factor. My budget was $6,000/00 and with careful
looking I found one.

If you just want to learn how to use a lathe and do small jobs it would be fine, But if you have
intentions to go into gun Smithing Save your money and buy a bigger/better Lathe.

In the long run you will save time and money.

Just some advice from someone that has been there.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.