Coyotes won’t come in on a call

I would say, its not all the caliber as much as it is the bullet and to complicate that its bullet placement also. If a coyote is quartering away, pretty hard for me not to get splash, or hitting them high in the shoulder blade/spine, going to get a big hole out the top of the back. .204 holds an energy edge on a .17, so in "theory" better kills a little farther away. I have zero experience on bobcats...orange dust, what bullets have you used in .204? I believe that you are correct on the .17 out to 250 yards. Lately my kills have been in that 300 to max 401 yards and a couple on same day were 356-354 yards and it was amazing to see the dead flop, on chest cavity hits. A month ago I had a "lucky" 353 yard running shot into the guts on a male coyote and he "dead flopped" right now. I ranged him after I shot him, no time otherwise just guess work at the moment.

Tried both Vmaxes in 32 and 39gr. Also Bergers. Think they were 35's but can't remember for sure. I still have a few 25gr Kindler Golds. They have no peer for bang flop or fur damage out to around 300yds. I have shot several with partitions in .220 Swift-300 Weatherby. Always bang flop and surprisingly little external damage. Usually the 25gr Kindlers won't exit even on a Bobcat. They will on Foxes unless shot in the chest. I heard someone bought Todd Kindler's stuff and is making them again. Would love to find some.

I looked up Todd Kindler , someone named Montana Mize from Texas now has his dies and stuff and produced so 30 gr 17's called Texas Gold the article was on Coyotestuff . com

39 grain SBK in a .204 ( @ 3800-3900 fps) as long as it goes in the body is very fur friendly (stays inside) and kills better than a 25 grain .17 caliber.....kills like lightnina

The 17 kills them like Thor's hammer to about 250 with Bergers and over 300 with Kindler golds. I got rid of my 204 because of splash on bobcats. It was worse than a 22-250. 204 is fine on coyotes and better than the 22's for fur.
If you shoot a large capacity .17 like the Predator you can push the 30 Nagel to around 4100 with Big Game and it gives you a 400-450 yard gun. But it's not without all the little costs that Wildcats entail. Pretty fur friendly however.

Tried both Vmaxes in 32 and 39gr. Also Bergers. Think they were 35's but can't remember for sure. I still have a few 25gr Kindler Golds. They have no peer for bang flop or fur damage out to around 300yds. I have shot several with partitions in .220 Swift-300 Weatherby. Always bang flop and surprisingly little external damage. Usually the 25gr Kindlers won't exit even on a Bobcat. They will on Foxes unless shot in the chest. I heard someone bought Todd Kindler's stuff and is making them again. Would love to find some.
That'd be Montana Mize down in Texas but I understand jackets are hard to come by and he's not in production.

I have had wildcats before, 270 Ackley improved, 6XC , and they are nice but you are right more cost associated with them. That is what caught my eye on the .204 all factory, most things inexpensive and if you want to sell it, you can. Try selling a 270 ackley improved, dam near impossible. I bet the BC on the .204 39 SBK is still better than the BC on the 30 Nagel but you do have an extra 200 fps. And in the .204, 29.5 grains of A2520 fuels it, not much powder for a great Ka-Pow. I know, I am beating the .204 drum!!

I have had wildcats before, 270 Ackley improved, 6XC , and they are nice but you are right more cost associated with them. That is what caught my eye on the .204 all factory, most things inexpensive and if you want to sell it, you can. Try selling a 270 ackley improved, dam near impossible. I bet the BC on the .204 39 SBK is still better than the BC on the 30 Nagel but you do have an extra 200 fps. And in the .204, 29.5 grains of A2520 fuels it, not much powder for a great Ka-Pow. I know, I am beating the .204 drum!!
No I get it!! I built the Predator before the .204 was really taking off and may have gone .204 instead. Nagel doesn't state a B.C. but I've settled on .230 as a workable number.
One huge disadvantage of the 4100 velocity is shortened barrel life, I'm on #2 now in 10 years. Energy transfer kills and the heavier bullet at 3900 vs. Lighter @4100 is likely a push. I considered building a .17/.204 in an AR platform as I had .17 bullets/ cleaning rods etc. I think it would have fed well due to case taper of .204.
There's a guy who shoots coyotes on contract for farmers and shoots a .204 AR 15 and kills over a hundred per year with 39 Sierra, that's a testament to its lethality.
Backreading: I loaded 27.7 Ramshot Big Game with the 4100 load. The new Barrel won't do it. I'm at 25.8/4030 now but it's working. I think velocity is key with sub bores to get hydrostatic shock. The 30 Gold bullet is no longer available with supposed B.C. of .270 I personally think that B.C may have been optimistic.

What do yo want for the 270AI ?????

Gosh I never gave it any thought, its a Remington BDL, has been blue printed, estimated 300-450 rounds thru it, shoots a 150 nosler Ballistic tip at 3060 fps...……...composite stock...…….pm me with your cell # and I will get pics at noon hour...….

coyotemaster , look up Montana Mize what was called the 30 gold is now called Texas gold produced by him with Todd Kindler's dies and some jackets for making the 30 gold .

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if that's just how it goes. I have been out chasing coyotes well over 30 times now and still haven't had one in range.

I make sure I set up at least 100 yards off the call crosswind and elevated.

i'm using a fox pro shockwave and have tried about every combination.

The majority of the time they respond to my locator call or pop in distress but don't give a **** about coming in. In fact after 15 minutes or so I might even here them yipping further away.

so far the closest I came was a lone coyote sitting at about 500 yards. She definitely heard my call. She just wouldn't come in.... for an hour and a half she laid down there. Every now and again I would mix up the call and try something new which would cause her to stand up take a few steps forward and then lay back down. Eventually she got bored and strolled off the other way out of sight.

i've tried multiple areas very far apart with the same results. Am I doing something wrong? Or does it usually take this much effort to bag one? it's not like there's a shortage, I hear tons of them.
Back up your Fox caller with a mouth call say something like a "cow horn" Herbs Howlers which I used for many, many years, and found them to be just the ticket for hard holding Yotes just out of range.

Attachments

• Leupold and Warne 001.jpg
    Leupold and Warne 001.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 64