Coyotes are really tough characters (Deleted)

That is cruel and inhumane.
I hate coyotes but never want a wild creature to suffer. I prefer one shot and DRT (lights out). No pain.

"That is cruel and inhumane."

Obviously the real animals that eat other animals while still alive are not cruel and inhumane....what about the yotes running in on cows calving and grabbing the calf and ripping it out of the cow and running off with it...
What about all the pronghorn that don't get a chance to live a day because of the same reasons....sure..its nature and natural....but i would rather see more pronghorn than coyote.....kill them all..by whatever means necessary...of course we can let the ones living in the cities go on as i don't care if the eat rats cats and garbage......maybe even a few winos.........

I agree with tbrice23. Just my opinion here, but I'm not sure what this has to do with long range hunting, or hunting in general. Breaking an animal's leg and forcing it to endure hours or days of pain is not my cup of tea.

When choosing a hunting rifle/cartridge, I always err on the side of too much gun in order to ensure clean, humane kills. 6-284 for predators, 28 Nosler for mule deer and smaller, 338 NM Imp for elk and moose.

Lots of misconceptions about trapping.....Don't believe all you read on the internet and Don't attack other outdoors/hunting we need to support each other.....Go trap, and be around trapped animals before you talk about "how they suffer".
Looks like a healthy dog even with the missing leg! I ran into one archery hunting with three legs and thought it would be easy to get.....Dog dog juked me faster than a 4 legged version!

I was "TOLD ONCE" at the ranch where we deer hunted...if you shoot at a coyote it better be a dead coyote or you will spend all deer season looking for that coyote.....a wounded coyote will come back to the calving area and eat on their new calves....
The picture OP put up looked like a new catch and release snare trap...
Didn't look like the leg was broken...just caught above the paw...
Hose to say the other leg was lost to a trap...maybe it was hit by a car while feeding on roadkill hare..........now we can't show longrange roadkill......lol...

I started my serious years at coyote hunting with a 243 Win.

Later I added a 22-250. At first I had problems with run offs, but I switched bullets and that solved the problem.

When my 22-250 gave up the ghost I bought a bolt gun in 223. I have some run offs with the 223 even with a good bullet. Shot placement is even more critical.

In the intervening years I have the 22 Hornet, the 204 Ruger and the 25-06 added as well.

They all have their place in coyote hunting with differing strengths and weaknesses.

At the lower end of cartridge power we find more run offs but less recoil allowing a carefull hunter the opportunity to place shots better, thus reducing run offs. At the upper end of the power range we find more recoil and more range. For shooters less influenced by recoil, a 243 or 25-06 gives the hunter the capability to reach coyotes at greater range and still deliver more horsepower at that greater range.

I really like the 204, 22-250 and 243 for the bulk of my shooting. The 25-06 is the king for greater ranges and I also cherish it's attributes. I tell people that in 40+ years I have never met a coyote that could argue with a 243! The 223 is by no means a slouch but one needs to look around for a bullet that really performs. Perhaps light for caliber fast expanding slugs. I use 55 gr Hornady six and V-max. So going lighter and gaining speed might be better.

Three44s

Last edited:
Ethically dispatching game is different than indiscriminately maiming anything ( child, pet dog) that enters an inanimate device.

Ethically dispatching game is different than indiscriminately maiming anything ( child, pet dog) that enters an inanimate device.
I didn't see the picture either, but trapping is or can be messy.

Just remember it's not about sport it's predator control, and extremely necessary.

Here in Idaho we have a serious wolf problem, and the only way to effectively control the population is using neck snares.

Not exactly a humane death, but neither is an elk calf being ripped in half.

Let's take the preaching down a notch..
Reloading Nut is right, we're sounding like a bunch of Libs.

It was a picture of a coyote with three legs in a trap. A clean picture too. What the preachers on here don't seem to understand is that it was more likely that someone shot the leg off just below the body, rather than it being lost in a trap. Quit preaching what you don't understand......a trapper that loses legs on animals is being very counter productive. Most go to great lengths to unsure the animal is held just enough to avoid damage without allowing it to escape.....there are bad examples in every sport......should we assume so dumb long range shooter shot its leg off and left it to suffer? You have no idea, other than preaching with your emotions.....

Edit to add: Your sprirt/attitude is the same one that allows gun owners to vote in gun laws that don't affect them, and hunting laws that don't affect them....etc. because they are emotional about the issue with no facts to back up their emotion, and they don't see how it affects them. I doubt anyone negatively commenting on trapping has had any quality trapping experience based on their comments. Any time something is killed, it "CAN be messy" this dosen't mean if done properly it is.....everything that you are saying about trapping can be twisted around one way or another on Long Range Hunting.....remember that, and please check your emotions before preaching down any of our outdoor sports on the internet.

Last edited:
Hey....maybe some ******* libturd hit it with their dinosaur juice burner on the way to a USHS meeting and didn't have the decency to put it out of its misery.....and it survived by killing and eating house cats and some kids prize goat for a 4H project at school..which flunked the kid because his responsibility died.......and couldn't get into college..............best reason in the world to off yotes.........

I just went and shoved my fingers in a coyote trap, so everyone could watch them be "indiscriminately mained"....To bad I can't figure out how to post a video, so you could watch the horror and suffering. Pretty sure my fingers are quite a bit smaller than a coyote leg, and low and behold, no broken bones, blood or maiming.....in fact I can still type out a message on this forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.