Coyotes and wild dogs.

Deputy, see if this fits:
1 shots are taken at less than 130 (likely less than 50) yards.
2 Noisei a major issue.
3 Over travel of rounds unacceptable.
4 prefer one shot takedown.

Answer AirFoce Airguns Texan LSS-CF my recommendation is the .457 caliber; but other calibers . are available. Over 750 FPE of silent, subsonic, dead soft lead, that will drop the dogs with a heart-lung shot 97% of the time! The 3% runner dogs will not make it past the next yard with good shot placement. Much less chance of your round doing a thru and through or hitting taxpayer or taxpayer property.

I would go with a cheap ruger american predator in 300blk out. Shoot them with some 220gr subsonic rounds

I'm a deputy for a very rural county in TN. Over the last few years we have been getting more and more calls on coyotes attacking pets. On wild pit bull mixes doing the same. These dogs can be up to 70 lbs. coyotes much smaller... as our animal control guys are totally undermanned and overwhelmed, many deputies like myself have started carrying a rim fire gun in the trunk to take care of the problem when it's in a subdivision etc. it's very frowned upon to cut loose an AR 15 in a subdivision... my question to you all is, would you be comfortable with a 22lr for this? 17hmr? 22 mag? Right now I have a 22lr loaded with stingers and i have made several headshots that did not instantly incapacitate big coyotes or big dogs... this has me Kind of down on my 10/22 and making me consider a 22 mag or maybe 17wsm... what say you all?
Perhaps a .22 Hornet would be adequate?

Deputy, see if this fits:
1 shots are taken at less than 130 (likely less than 50) yards.
2 Noisei a major issue.
3 Over travel of rounds unacceptable.
4 prefer one shot takedown.

Answer AirFoce Airguns Texan LSS-CF my recommendation is the .457 caliber; but other calibers . are available. Over 750 FPE of silent, subsonic, dead soft lead, that will drop the dogs with a heart-lung shot 97% of the time! The 3% runner dogs will not make it past the next yard with good shot placement. Much less chance of your round doing a thru and through or hitting taxpayer or taxpayer property.
This isn't a bad idea - I like how you can store these full of compressed air so they are ready to go. But man, the price...thats a little more than a 22 mag or 17hmr.

I prefer the 22 hornet not quite but very deadly and with a v max no issue of over travel, they explode. However I'd try different ammo first as that's cheapest

I deal with dingoes in Australia. These are often around villages and mine sites. Just 2 nights ago I got called out in the middle of the night to deal with a rouge pit bull that attacked some Firey's while they were fighting a large suburban bush fire.
My rifle of choice is a .22 as it is quiet. It still gets heard but doesn't scare the po*p out of everyone.
Head shots are not what is needed, brain shots are. If body shots (heart/lung) are expected, a .22 mag with lighter bullets works a treat and is so much safer than bigger calibres. Frontal head shots are difficult except at very close range. Neck shots can be a good choice.
Mike

22 lr with the CCI velocitor are great and can penetrate good I would highly recommend them I run them thru my 10-22 since they hit harder and are more accurate than stingers

I've a 17 wsm
No yotes or dogs yet, but it's lethal on large coons.
Also
I've a buddy with a high powered air rifle.
Not sure what brand but it
Shoots 45 cal I believe.
It's not very loud and I've seen him shoot 2" groups at 100 yards.
I know he's killed wild hogs with it.

I've a 17 wsm
No yotes or dogs yet, but it's lethal on large coons.
Also
I've a buddy with a high powered air rifle.
Not sure what brand but it
Shoots 45 cal I believe.
It's not very loud and I've seen him shoot 2" groups at 100 yards.
I know he's killed wild hogs with it.

Coons, like feral cats, are VERY high strung. They take a lot of killing. If the 17 rimfires are a good stopper on coons, they probably have an application with this guy's situation. A big boar coon can be darn near the size of a small pit bull, and I'd be comfortable shooting a big coyote or wild dog with anything that I had taken out a big coon with. In fact, I thik that pound-for-pound, a coon is alot tougher to kill than a coyote. My biggest concern with shooting these troublesome vermine in neighborhoods would be where the bullet goes after it exits the animal. This might favor the very frangible bullets in the 17-caliber cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.