Coyotes and wild dogs.

JIsbell40

I'm a deputy for a very rural county in TN. Over the last few years we have been getting more and more calls on coyotes attacking pets. On wild pit bull mixes doing the same. These dogs can be up to 70 lbs. coyotes much smaller... as our animal control guys are totally undermanned and overwhelmed, many deputies like myself have started carrying a rim fire gun in the trunk to take care of the problem when it's in a subdivision etc. it's very frowned upon to cut loose an AR 15 in a subdivision... my question to you all is, would you be comfortable with a 22lr for this? 17hmr? 22 mag? Right now I have a 22lr loaded with stingers and i have made several headshots that did not instantly incapacitate big coyotes or big dogs... this has me Kind of down on my 10/22 and making me consider a 22 mag or maybe 17wsm... what say you all?

I've killed pigs & cows with a 22. Never had to shoot one twice. It is easier to hit the kill spot if you can shoot them from behind. Hard to beat a .22 in town for noise. A .22 mag is quite a step up. Also louder.

I've killed pigs & cows with a 22. Never had to shoot one twice. It is easier to hit the kill spot if you can shoot them from behind. Hard to beat a .22 in town for noise. A .22 mag is quite a step up. Also louder.

the "full value" shots are a lot easier.. I've killed cows with a 22 as well but those are 3 feet shots on a stationary animal. These are usually highly motivated animals in areas where it's only safe to fire in 1 or 2 directions so you have to take a shot in an opening or not at all.

Suppressor is a good idea but I'm not spending $1000 an getting a tax stamp to kill varmints. My county was not even consider that... bringing it up with our budget would get me laughed at

morning, ask the residence if they want the safety of their children
and animals r the noise of a 223 with a 20 round clip killing these
large predators??!!! these animals r very dangerous.
justme gbot tum

morning, ask the residence if they want the safety of their children
and animals r the noise of a 223 with a 20 round clip killing these
large predators??!!! these animals r very dangerous.
justme gbot tum
Oh I agree with everyone saying the 556 is a huge upgrade. But then you get all the calls about ****ed off neighbors and then you have to talk to half a dozen ppl... it's way too big of a deal..

I'm a deputy for a very rural county in TN. Over the last few years we have been getting more and more calls on coyotes attacking pets. On wild pit bull mixes doing the same. These dogs can be up to 70 lbs. coyotes much smaller... as our animal control guys are totally undermanned and overwhelmed, many deputies like myself have started carrying a rim fire gun in the trunk to take care of the problem when it's in a subdivision etc. it's very frowned upon to cut loose an AR 15 in a subdivision... my question to you all is, would you be comfortable with a 22lr for this? 17hmr? 22 mag? Right now I have a 22lr loaded with stingers and i have made several headshots that did not instantly incapacitate big coyotes or big dogs... this has me Kind of down on my 10/22 and making me consider a 22 mag or maybe 17wsm... what say you all?

Change rounds,go with a CCI Velocitor ,this round has extreme penetration and will take down any feral dog,i've killed ferals ,and big coyotes at 100 yards easily.I to am law enforcement.Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.