Coyote total for the year

Just got number 40 yesterday. Seems like the harder I try the worse I do but it's still fun to get out.

Regarding calling in hawks, I had two consecutive stands where a hawk came within inches of grabbing my foxjack decoy. Caught me off guard and scared me a little.

Yep just hit 42 this afternoon. Should be 44 but i missed TWO back to back yesterday. I WAS LIKE ***. Both were long shots for my 16 in barrel .223 but i can say what ever i want i just missed back to back i think that made it worse. My daughter has killed 17 her longest shot to date is 240 yds not to long but long for her since before the season i limited her to 100 yds. She is gaining confidence in the rifle i got her and getting better she would have had more but she is slow getting on them but that will come with more practice and confidence i think.

We are still after them. I called in 4 this afternoon and she shot one and i shot one for our first double so that was cool.

I have had a decent year I started in the beginning of october, and to date I have shot 23 coyotes, which one of those 23 attacked me while I was calling one evening, I have called hundreds of coyotes in my lifetime but have never had one that charged to the call as fast, and aggressive, as this one. It was a young female, that would not stop after yelling at her three times, and when she was within aprox 8 feet, she dived at me with ears back, and jaws open right towards my face all I could do was put my arm up, and block her from going for my face she locked on to my arm, as she was in mid air, and I pushed her away, she let go and started to run away from me I got my composure back picked up my rifle and took a shot at her, I missed the first time chambered another round and dropped her. I pulled my coat sleeve up where she had locked on my wrist to find that she had cut my wrist just below the hand, in four spots. I ran back to the truck and drove back home to the hospital where I got medical aid and had to tell the story of how a wild animal bit me, and that I may need rabies shots. I had to go back out and retreive the dead coyote, and bring it in to get tested for rabies, two days later I was notified that it did not test positive for rabies in which I was very releived I never used to carry a shotgun when I went calling but I do now, I like to pack light when I go calling, but I will not take a chance with coyotes at a close range has anybody else out there had any close encounters?

That is crazy!! Glad you didn't get ripped up worse.

I had a cripple take a chomp at me once, but nothing like that.

YEP i have had a couple snap at me they werent getting up but still wanted to chomp me. I shot one earlier this year and all i could see in the scope was hair and he was still coming when i pulled the trigger. That is crazy a coyote coming after u.
I am glad u were not hurt worse.
My Rottweiller i used to have would chase the coyotes down and kill them and u would not believe the fight that little coyote would put up against a 135lb Rott. I used to take him with me all the time and he would go retreive the coyotes i shot so that was cool and every now and then one would take a bite at him and he would have to put it on him but then he would bring it back. Where i used to live we had coyotes come up right behind the house and i was not allowed to shoot there so i would sick him on them.

gun)47 Is my total for the season. With my first calling competion coming this weekend been laying off for a week and half. I'm looking forward to a great weekend of calling!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.