Coyote shot with the 300 RUM and 210g vld

remingtonman_25_06

I shot this coyote couple months ago with my 300 RUM and the 210g VLD. I let my friend have the first shot with my .222 rem. He was 250 yards at first, and my buddy shot just under his stomach. I had my 300 already and as soon as he took off, I unleashed the 210g VLD @3000fps. I lead him a ways and to my surprise heard the whop. I knew I hit him a little far behind becuz he was up there spinning circles. By the time I got another shell loaded, with the length at 3.8" I have to single shot these bad boys, he was already dead. The exit hole was about 4-5 inches around.

nqr6z4.jpg

nqra0l.jpg

Another nice coyote, way to go!
Looks like you are shooting a M700LSS. I have the same rifle in 338 RUM.
That 210 gr VLD looks like it got some expansion in such a thin target.

Regards,

JD338

Yep, its a LSS. I love the rifle. And yes, the 210g VLD is showing very dramatic expansion. I was surprised at how big the holes are of my 2 coyotes. Once I get my other picture on a CD, I will post it. It was shot at 120 yards. Left a much bigger hole then this one. For a target bullet, its got some expansion behind it. I bet it would be a great antelope/deer bullet as well. I would'nt try it on an elk/bear though, based on my experiences with coyotes. It mistifies milk jugs out to 500 yards pretty good to.

You'd better slow down on all the killin' up there!!! Your going to exterminate the little suckers!!

I'll bet Jimm is jealous as heck!!!

Ohhh no. There is hundreds up here. It is getting tougher to get them where we usually have been going lately though. I hadn't shot a coyote for about a month and a half. I've been out about 5 times and only seen 3 coyotes. I think it has a lot to do with our warm weather, plus february is breeding season, not to interested in food. Were thinking of trying out of la grande/baker area this coming weekend. If anything, we might just end up going up above milton freewater. We haven't been up there since deer season which was the first of October. I may have thinned out the stupid ones around my area though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.