Coyote Scopes....Need advice!

Window ; that sounds like a nice rifle but the $$$$ would equal at least half a new 570 BearCat Long track. Which would carry me into real good wolf pack country.
Even going on a general fur expedition calling can put 1k miles on a pickup.
I have heard that NightForce Scopes function well in the deep cold. 40-60 below. . That would be my reason to get one.

True, but other than barrels you only have to buy it once. Am looking to put a Schmidt/bender 4-16x42 on it so there may be a 3.5-15x56 for sale if your interested.

Awesome advice guys. I haven't posted cause I was actually out for 2 days coyote hunting, and I had the chance to use the Nikon M223 Nikoplex. I was very impressed to say the least. The loads that were used were as close to the 3240 fps that he could get to match the turrets, and I can tell you, I would not want to be infront of that gun 600 yards and closer. So, I ended up ordering one. Cant wait to set it up, and the best part, it was well under a grand. With the extra money, I purchased a new Ramshot 4-16x50 30mm tube, mildot reticle, parallax, and tactical turrets for $200 bucks. I believe when they were making these scopes a few years back, they were selling it for around $800. Not a huge mildot reticle fan for a coyote gun, so I'll just save the scope for another build. Its build like a tank, and the glass at low light was every bit as good as my Sightron SIII SS. Thanks for all the help fellas!!!

Jason

Window ; that sounds like a good deal, but in all honesty. I don't have a rifle you that can utilize a scope like that and I'm not a good enough shot to take advantage of it.
After I get the 6.5 Creed. And get so I know the rifle and can call my shots. Then I'll be able to upgrade the optics from a sub 400$ scope.

I'm really looking forward to it. The 25/06 and 243 are #2+3 on my list. But I can get fmjbt s for the 6.5 , At 2800 fps they shouldn't tear up a fox or lynx and coyote but hopefully will be close to poi with an expanding bullet for caribou and wolf. And a 130 TSX would work on moose if the opportunity arises.
In short it's the largest round that shouldn't tear up a fox.

I am not sure about not "tearing up a Fox". I haven't seen any thing that is centerfire not do that at some point. buy a needle and thread just in case. Ha.

Well. I might end up eating some of m words. I contacted NightForce about how their scopes work in the cold. They said that they function test them at 80 below. If the scope doesn't work they don't sell it ..
I don't think Ill be hunting at 80 below. 60 below maybe but 80 below. You'd have to keep a long hose with you to exhale into.

I know you've ordered a scope, but if its not to late to turn back... look into the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X44. I have shot running dogs at 20 yards and steel at 720 yards with my .243 win. Im the guy that puts alot of time and effort into his setups, and it took me a year to decide on the combo I have, but for $1100 total package I dont think that there is a better setup to be had for the $$.

M700 Rem .243 win
Warne maxima mounts and rings
thumbhole stock (built it myself)
2.5-10X44 PST EBR 1

I have used the MOA reticule to shoot to 500 yards, its fast and precise. I still like dialing though.

You should do well with the m223. If you tried it and liked it and then that is what matters, not the opinions of an internet forum.

My main coyote guns are wearing a coyote special and a vortex with a circle/duplex reticle. I have found that I really get on target fast with the circular reference. The eye naturally centers the target and the circle gives some idea of range estimation.

I did buy the Schmidt and bender 4-16x42 pm II for my 22x47 lapua, I still have a Nightforce nxs 3-15x56 mildot reticle mil adjustments if your looking in that direction.

You should do well with the m223. If you tried it and liked it and then that is what matters, not the opinions of an internet forum.

My main coyote guns are wearing a coyote special and a vortex with a circle/duplex reticle. I have found that I really get on target fast with the circular reference. The eye naturally centers the target and the circle gives some idea of range estimation.

With the circles in the Coyote Special, does the scope need to be set at a certain power for the circles to work correctly. ??

I can never remember which focal plane is which.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.