Coyote Scope on .22

the blur

I'm looking for a really nice scope to hunt Coyote's with. It'll be going on my .22LR.
Money no object.. what would you go with ?
Out to 300 yards at least.

I'm looking for a really nice scope to hunt Coyote's with. It'll be going on my .22LR.
Money no object.. what would you go with ?
Out to 300 yards at least.
300 yards at least with a .22 long rifle. Mighty bold talk for such a small cartridge. Any concerns about killing energy left with whatever bullet you choose? Even coyotes deserve a quick and decent death. If money is no object and you want a rimfire cartridge, you might want to think of backing that .22 out and parking that new scope on top of a brand new Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) in .17 caliber. Leaves a small hole. Just sayin'.

A 17 isn't a 300 yard gun either you need to make good hits at 300 yards with a 223 or you will lose a lot of wounded animals you can't be serious. David
david g ranes: Nope, the .17's are not good 300-yard guns either, but much better than a .22 that might get the bullet out that far, but I am not aware of any of the hundreds of .22 long rifle loadings that would have the energy necessary to do the trick. Probably the same problem with the .17's, but I do not know enough about what his plans are to be too critical.

Last edited:
I've tracked coyotes for over a mile with a less than ideal hit with a .223 south of 100 yards. You owe it to even a flea bit coyotes to have a clean kill.

Use the 22 on targets and if money is no object take a center fire after coyotes.

I used a .22 to earn a centerline shooting fox. They go down a lot easier than coyotes and I still rember loosing a ben Franklin fox as a school boy. Still bothers me.

My smallest coyote shooter is a 17 FB XP-100 handgun, and it's right at the outer limits at 300 yds. through both lungs. I'm netting 3400ish out of the 25 vmax, and it's barely enough at that range. Sighted in at 225 yds. I think the 2.5-8X Leupold LER scope's Duplex reticle's lower post tip is on at 300 (2.5 MOA @ 8X).

Last edited:
Haha, what am I even reading here?!?!...Since when is a .22 LR or a 17 Rimfire a 300 yard dog rifle?? On what planet? Wow...just wow...A 22 LR is at most a 50 yard dog rifle, and a 17 is at most a 100 yard dog rifle. You wont even hit a dog at 300 yards with a 22 LR...You can't be serious?? A coyote has 4" vitals, go try and hit some clay pigeons at 300 yards with a 22 LR and get back to me, you may be able to hit them at 300 with a 17 in the greatest conditions, however the energy at that distance, might as well be a horse fly bite... A 223 is barely a legitimate 300 yard dog rifle unless you make a good shot everytime. If not, you'll be chasing that coyote into the next county. Maybe he meant 30 yards with a 22 LR, that's a little more doable, maybe added 1 to many 0s to that 300 number...Do yourself a favor and read up on coyotes and using the right tools for the job, before you go out wounding everything, leaving it to die an inhumane slow death, coyote or not, they deserve a quick clean kill, and rimfires are hardly coyote killers.

Last edited:
I have shot my fair share on dogs over the last 50 years of cattle ranching , my preference is still my 22-250 , I have seen the grand kinds shoot a few at 100 yards but that's the exception with there 17 HMR 'S they are pretty good shots , I agree even dogs don't need to suffer just kill them with one well placed shot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.