Coyote rifle build suggestions

I'm a 22-250 guy as well. I just think its a hard to beat cartridge and has plenty of poop behind it to reach out and touch some. I hear the 22CM is pretty neat also but have not had the pleasure of trying one out! So many great cartridges to choose from these days my suggestion would be to get a caliber you can readily access ammo or components for. those are the kickers these days.

Thanks for all the responses!

Lots of recommendations for 22-250, seems like the classic yote caliber. I already have two 22 Creeds and love them, it's been a great improvement over 22-250 and I think if I go 22 in a bolt gun, I'll go with the 22 Creed for the extra fps, especially since I'll be giving up some with a short barrel. A fella that is a big time yote hunter that has me interested says his group mostly uses 204 Rugers with 32 VMAX with excellent results, so I'm not concerned about the need to sling a big heavy bullet, but do want a decent BC for longer range opportunities. Great feedback on the little 17.

I'm concerned about follow ups.. which has me considering the AR platform. I do have an AR10 lower.. I could do a 243 or 22 Creed upper for that platform. 6 ARC seems cool, but lacks in the speed department.

I am aware of the night time optics challenge, and have started looking at thermal and NV. Looks like I'll probably end up with two rifles, as swapping day and night optics on the same rifle doesn't seem practical.

Keep 'em coming guys! Thanks again for the comments so far

Thanks for all the responses!

Lots of recommendations for 22-250, seems like the classic yote caliber. I already have two 22 Creeds and love them, it's been a great improvement over 22-250 and I think if I go 22 in a bolt gun, I'll go with the 22 Creed for the extra fps, especially since I'll be giving up some with a short barrel. A fella that is a big time yote hunter that has me interested says his group mostly uses 204 Rugers with 32 VMAX with excellent results, so I'm not concerned about the need to sling a big heavy bullet, but do want a decent BC for longer range opportunities. Great feedback on the little 17.

I'm concerned about follow ups.. which has me considering the AR platform. I do have an AR10 lower.. I could do a 243 or 22 Creed upper for that platform. 6 ARC seems cool, but lacks in the speed department.

I am aware of the night time optics challenge, and have started looking at thermal and NV. Looks like I'll probably end up with two rifles, as swapping day and night optics on the same rifle doesn't seem practical.

Keep 'em coming guys! Thanks again for the comments so far
I run a clip on thermal and have both optics for one rifle. It does work but it's not cheap. I have friend who kills 500 plus yotes a year using a 20 practical. He's a night hunter, long range shooter, and excellent caller.

I don't do a ton of coyote hunting anymore but in my experience, I'd go with a basic lightweight AR in plain ol vanilla basic 223.

I've got a bolt 204 with an 18" barrel for suppressed pdogs and coyotes and I've got a nice lightweight ar in 223 I also have suppressed. The 204 loses too much speed for the caliber to make sense.

The older I get, the more I start thinking that every rifle I own I would prefer them shorter and more efficient, and in common calibers. We've gone through too many ammo shortages and price hikes for me to want anything more than a 223 and 308 in a short as possible without having to pay for more bs tax stamps.

I think I'd look at a 6BR and 87 or a 95 VLD's. Saves powder, performs well, good barrel life and excellent accuracy. If you want more horsepower, then a 243 Win with the same bullets....but of course, less barrel life and more powder.

Hey guys, I've got the itch to build a new rifle, this one is specifically for coyote hunting.

I've got lots of long range, and lightweight deer and prairie dog hunting builds, but this one is going to be a designated 'yote calling gun. I want to keep it short, as I'll be running a suppressor.

I'm open to any caliber or cartridge, I think I'd prefer to stay between 20 cal and 6mm. I'm not concerned about pelt damage. Ranges are unknown, but I'm a long range guy, so I'm hoping for something with some legs.

I'm stuck on the decision between an AR pattern rifle or a bolt gun. I love bolt guns, but I'm concerned that I'll want the speed of a semi for follow up shots.

What are your thoughts? Currently kicking around an 18" 22 Nosler or 6mm ARC AR build or a 16" 22 or 6mm Creed bolt gun.

Thanks in advance
6 arc 18 inch is what I'm running now for coyotes and I love it!
IMG_4043.jpeg

I've had the same itch and I pulled the trigger on the bolt 22 CM. The components are at the gunsmith's place waiting to be assembled.
After reading about this cartridge I got so excited I bought 200 rounds of good brass even before I bought components. Kinda backwards but it works for me. Best of luck. You can't make a bad decision about a new rifle!

I'm currently shooting a 22-243ai for my coyote rifle. Just got most of the brass fire formed so now to work up a fire formed load. Next time I'm thinking a 6sst or ss or 6prc. I would think a 20-22" barrel would push 90-95 very fast and flat, be good long range and nock the heck out of them.

My coyote gun is a 6CM. I am more of a glass, sneak in, and shoot kind of guy though.
2 weeks ago, got two while scouting for pronghorn. 585 and 888 yards.

But if I was building a new rifle specifically for coyote, I would look at the 22GT. I have three buddies with them, and they are very impressive with an 85.5 Berger.
OK, I am literally putting my money where my mouth is.

I have a Manners LRH that has been sitting in my safe for months. And a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50 too.

So this evening, I went and bought everything else to put together a 22GT.
Kelbly Nanook SA .308 BF
22" 1:7" Proof Sendero CF
OTM DBM bottom metal
TriggerTech Diamond
Forster FL die & micrometer seater

Just need to get some brass ordered up, and some 85.5 Bergers.