Coyote killed my dog.

You need to quit fooling with sissy dogs! Here's a picture of a dog I bred called
Redi-Mix a half brother to my Bingo dog.He would bust a Coyote's Butt BIG TIME!
Redi-Mix.jpg

With today's high powered air rifles with a night scope attached because they are just about silent when fired you can drop every coyote in the pack . Once one goes down they don't go running off because the don't hear a sound . So taking 5 or 6 as fast as you can reload is the best way to hunt coyotes at night . Since you live near other houses a silent air gun in 22 cal will do the trick just fine . Get a cheaper 150.00 break barrel that puts out about 900 or higher fps in 22 cal and you will have around 30 fpe that's enough to take one down out to 100 yards . Most of them are very accurate . Put a good spring rated scope on it . Get a scope with a side parallax on it . Get a 100 mm wheel to fit the parallax and mark the yardage to match the focus print out a scope cap chart and match the mildot to the yardage like in the photo, Get a scope that has illumunated reticles and practice .When a coyote kills your dog that means war . Watch this video Click on this link and pick the coyote in the 7 inch scale . This will put a 35 inch long coyote at 50 yards real life size in your 3x scope power at 6 mil dots , shooting at 10 yards in your basement shooting range for practice. At 10 yards it will take up 6 mils the same amount of spacing as a real coyote at 50 yards on 3x http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Target_Downloads_s/78.htm This is a 35x45 target so its going to be close enough to real size for when you can practice in your yard .https://www.nationaltarget.com/product_info.php/coyote-lifesize-game-target-p-83 . Get some polymag pellets they expand really good . This video shows the polymag in 35 cal into gel at 50 yards . I could not find one in a video at 50 yards for 22 cal at 50 yds but it shows how they work , The 22 won't be a fist size opening in the gel like the 35 cal , in 22 cal it will be a little less . But it will give you a good idea . Now get out there and kill that M.

Attachments

• bfta-setup-41.jpg
    bfta-setup-41.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 151
  • NE-Championship-and-Pistol-ft-010.jpg
    NE-Championship-and-Pistol-ft-010.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
The issue to me is numbers. I hunt a lot in Neb and Ks. We have two large labs. One at 85 lbs and one at 100 lbs. Both males and both in great shape. The ranchers we stay with recommend that we put our dogs up for the night. DO NOT tie them out. If we do leave them out, leave them free. Their comments are as follows: one coyote (30-50lbs) will not attack dogs of this size. Two coyotes (30-50lbs) may or may not attack the dogs but probably not. Size does matter. Three or more coyotes that are determined to stake out their area would attack our dogs and the fight would undoubtedly favor the smaller coyotes. Numbers do matter. I have personally seen large dogs chase and try to kill coyotes. Single coyotes. Its sorta like a dog fight. Two dogs can easily defeat one other dog except maybe the fighting breeds which have no fear and no give up. Our labs are huge. The fangs on the 100 lb lab are over 1.25 inches in Length. Comparable to that of a small coyote but still has 100 lbs to 40 lbs average for the coyote. Put your dogs up unless they are used for keeping coyotes away but be prepared to lose them to a pack.

The only problem with dogs like Labs they have been bred to be soft mouthed
Pointers and Setters too so they don't crunch what they retrieve.
My Dad used a spiked harness on quail for his pointers to get them to lighten up. Get you a dog that wants to fight and has the ability and watch 'em run!

Numbers do count.

Coyotes are "gut pullers", that is how they kill baby calves and they certainly can not fight back.

A tough dog can only fight on one end. Multiple coyotes will find a blind spot.

Three44s

I have a few acres and I use MB-650 steel traps! A lot safer than shooting in a neighborhood. Quiet and sneaky is best. Easy to hide and they work.
Get the good ones with the cast offset jaws and a trap setter. They have 4 very strong springs! F&T post is a good supply house. I wish a coyote would try my Pit or Linda's Rotty!
https://www.fntpost.com/Products/MB...te+Bobcat+Coil+Spring+Trap+(Offset+Cast+Jaws)
MB-650 with an earth anchor is the absolute best for coyotes, I got 27 last fall, some of my area's had no coyote tracks! I had baits un-touched for weeks at a time. Use traps in combination with bait and thermal hunting for best results, my area was also hit hard by hounds-man at the same time- they are also quite effective!
You can learn tons of tricks on you tube for setting traps, unfortunately they will be back next year you have to take out 80% every year just to break even with coyote numbers.

MB-650 with an earth anchor is the absolute best for coyotes,
you have to take out 80% every year just to break even with coyote numbers.
Traps work great, probably the best of anything but he's got neighbors with pets so traps are most likely out.
Wow, 80% to break even. That's almost like wild pigs, tough to keep them in check.

Do they uaually come back if i wait a couple days? I want this animal to come back.
They always come back. If you want to try trapping the coyote instead of shooting it that may be safer for your neighbors. There are videos about trapping and snaring on you tube. Snaring might be safer because you can use one that does not kill, so if your pet or someone else's pet gets into it it doesn't kill them There are some leg hold traps that also don't kill or seriously injure. A small piece of raw meat will usually get them to return, then if you don't shoot at them when they take it they will come back looking for more. I use an electronic caller, but when I do, my intent is to shoot them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.