Coyote hunting

Of course as in all hunting there's no perfect answer to every question, but i'd setup several hundred yds. from the cover facing toward it, but i'd be far enuf from it that the uneducated dogs will come out in the open to get a closer view of me, which would allow me an opportunity i might never get if i'm "too close". Of course this depends on the terrain. Truth is now that i think of it, if there's a rise downwind of me within 200 yds. or so of the cover-- i wouldn't pick that stand for a call, IF there's another way to access the dogs that r in that area, if not i'd go ahead and call it as already explained, realizing that if you're a lone hunter with nobody to watch the back door, then at least a few more coyotes r gonna get educated by u anyway. Everybody educates coyotes, even the best of hunters, although i definitely always want as much in my favor as i can get, since coyotes ARE smarter than any other game i've ever hunted GENERALLY speaking.

Couple other suggestions that might help:

When i call i always pan the call in front of me to every direction i can blast the call into, as it only stands to reason that the bigger the country u cover, the more dogs that'll respond---GENERALLY (1 of the most successful coyote hunters in the country--Q Waggoner out of Nebraska, calls softly, and walks miles in the country he hunts, so....)

Move as little of your body as u can since that's the second biggest educator of coyotes-- human movement--- BUT move you're head in a scanning motion back and forth from as far behind u as u can get it on 1 side to the same on the other, constantly. Won't be long you'll feel like Linda Blair.

For some reason the hardest thing to teach a new coyote hunter is how to stop a dog that's moving for the shot. Eventually you'll get to know the demeanor of a coyote that's gonna stop ,and one that's gonna eat u no matter what.If the dog won't stop at a whoop as suggested above, then try a loud growl right in his face, and he'll more often that not stop at that. I actually have proof of this system on tape of 1 a buddy called in, and wouldn't react to his barking at her to stop her, until i growled at her loud. She stopped, and he popped a dog that might otherwise have been missed, due to a close running shot.

If more than one r called in, and u shoot 1. Of course the other's gonna take off, quickly. LET THE DOG GET OUT AWAYS (very important), and then utter a couple ki yi's, like a hurt dog, and they'll often enuf stop for a look back at his/her partner. U'll get to know which will stop, and which won't eventually. If you're good at running shots then bang away with the AR (the most efficient calling rifle ever made by the way). I'm not, and never will be.

Many great suggestions above. There's a lot of combined years of addicted calling experience here for sure-- most of it probably learned the hard way-- i'd bet.

4ked, sscoyote's first paragraph is exactlly what I would do in that situation. A sage field is enough cover for a coyote to aproach in, with enough open ground for a shooting field. You may get in this set-up and have a coyote aproach from any direction, because the dogs may be anywhere in this terrain.

You dont have to hunt the thick cover exclusivly. In early am and late pm I tend to hunt more open ground. It's easier to see the dogs aproach in failing light, and they tend to be up and hunting rodents at these times.

Don't overlook mid-day hunts in the extreame cold winter weather. Many times coyotes will conserve their body heat at night, and be out hunting at mid-day when the temp gets over 0 degrees.

If the beginers need a leg up, start calling now. Or better yet in October. The first year pups are curious and uneducated, you will have a huge advantage. By going out and having some sucsess you will get a better understanding of the hows and whys.

Don't give up even the experienced callers have more unsucsessful set-ups than sucsessful ones. Ocasionally you may have one of those days were the dogs are racing in for the bait like cats to warm milk. Savor those days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
(1 of the most successful coyote hunters in the country--Q Waggoner out of Nebraska, calls softly, and walks miles in the country he hunts, so....)

[/ QUOTE ]
As has been stated, there are a lot of opinions. In the wide open Wyoming country, many good callers do just the opposite. They call loudly and only walk far enough from the truck so incoming dawgs don't bust the set up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess folks need to see what works for their terrain.

Just in for a peek. I will send the info by email this evening. It is also posted back in general discussion.

I am more than willing to help with the varments that are messing up your deer lease, what area are you hunting in?

What area are you hunting in? if you need some help clearing out some of the predators on your deer lease I am more than willing to help with that! gun)

Read Varmint Al's site, plus others, and purchase a DVD on how to call. Read up on everything you can. It will take some work on your part to learn all this stuff. Kind of like learning the fine points of reloading. Try Bill Porter's varmint site, plus get on the 6mmBR and Varminter.com sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts