Coyote hunting tips

Geo , what shot gun do you like for your calling ? I used a Benelli left handed for the plane , as you shoot from the port side of the plane and behind the pilot so the spent hulls went to the back of the plane , and a cheap Mossberg out of the chopper . What shells do you prefer for your calling . I don't often call in close cover but still have had some land close enough to touch them that came from behind or from the side or out of a sage brush choked draw to my front . For calling when denning I carried the Mossberg with my 223 but most often used the 223 . The Mossberg had a 20 " barrel with a modified choke I ran 2 3/4 " #4 buck when I could or ,BB'S then #4 shot . What barrel length and choke do you like ?

Remington Versa Max with an EO Tech. 3.5 inch Remington 00 Buck Full choke. I love this set up. My brother has a Benelli. It's pretty sweet but I wouldn't swap with him. The Versa fits great and swings fast. I even like shooting skeet with this set up. 00 buck because at any set a big boar might show. I have never had a chance to helicopter hunt. I did check on it, $1200 for a 30 minute hunt. Did you do anything different when they came so close? Anyone that has tips on getting them close please share.

Helicopter hunting was part of the job . I enjoyed it but then I've always liked riding in one I just like flying . Not really I just shot them with what I had handy it's a strange feeling to only see a blur in your scope you know for sure you hit them if they are laying there when you lower your rifle . Use lip squeaks a squeaker or really low volume if you are using an e-caller . If you can just barley hear it they can hear it at several yards , they hear mice under snow and dried grasses as well as bugs in leaves and grass so I like to keep it on a lower volume , that's why they will come from behind or from the sides of your stand it's quieter and peaks their interest better . I like to start off using low sounds you never know when you will have one closer then you realize and I don't want to scare them starting out with a loud noise at the beginning of my stand , then they will set out there to just watch you often after that . Keep it low and usually a higher pitch don't call a lot just now and then so that they want to slowly come in to investigate . When you get to doing it with the intention of doing it you will find it more exciting and interesting then calling them and having them charge in . You get to see and study what they are doing as they approach . At first I did it for the ones that were just setting out there looking at me because I had used too much volume on them and they knew something wasn't right . After waiting several minutes maybe up to 30 or 40 minutes I started with just slight sounds and found that it got them interested and moving my way . Try that on a few of your stands after you have been calling your usual way and are going to call it quits for that stand before you head back to your truck , you just might have a surprise waiting for you that you had no idea was in the area .

My problem is my sets are where you can not see past 70 yards. So if you can see them you can shoot. I would love to sit back and watch them come in. Way too cool. Perhaps I need to get permission on some new country.

That's not really a problem you can still go with lower volume higher pitched and coax them in closer just for the fun of it . You don't have to shoot them when you see them . It's not part of your job to kill every one you go out for but it is good to , so you have the ability to just let them come to you as close as you want them to and see just how close you can get them for the challenge of doing it . You will find it is rewarding just to do that once you decide you don't always have to kill something besides time every time you go out you can then give yourself that type of experiences and make it a personal challenge to get them to come as close as you can . You may even decide that you want to start using your pistol with some hydro-shock two hollow points .

That's not really a problem you can still go with lower volume higher pitched and coax them in closer just for the fun of it . You don't have to shoot them when you see them . It's not part of your job to kill every one you go out for but it is good to , so you have the ability to just let them come to you as close as you want them to and see just how close you can get them for the challenge of doing it . You will find it is rewarding just to do that once you decide you don't always have to kill something besides time every time you go out you can then give yourself that type of experiences and make it a personal challenge to get them to come as close as you can . You may even decide that you want to start using your pistol with some hydro-shock two hollow points .
Haha a pistol would be fun. Wouldn't you worry about educating though?

Not really when they are close I don't often miss them with my 9 MM or my 40 S&W . There is a guy named Chris Sajnog a retired Navy seal chief and sniper instructor that can teach you how to really shoot a pistol well if you have a tendency to miss . I go out to the range as well as do dry practice with them often . I chase golf balls starting at 25 yards with them just for fun .

Study the animals that you are wanting to call and hunt . Then as has been pointed out by many others hunt them as if you were one of them . By studying them you will learn why and what they will do in different situations so you can adapt and do like wise in those situations when you are out and about on your own hunts .

Using a pistol sounds like fun. However, I would have to spend plenty of time practicing. Shooting golf balls sounds like a blast. I will definitely try that.

I was watching one of the hunting shows. The gentleman was using a suppressed 22 magnum. He said he killed a lot of multiples because others could not hear the shot. What do ya'll think? I do know he had to trail every one. No DRT.

Suppressed doesn't stop the sonic crack of the 22 magnum you have to shoot sub sonics rounds for that . A good suppressor will how even help on even a rifle to confuse them as to where the noise came from and make it not as loud . Look up center mass group on youtube he has a lot of good pistol shooting info he goes by Dr. Sajnog now the j is pronounced like an i . You will enjoy golf ball shooting as well as bowling pins

Last edited:
geo, was he shooting sub-sonic? Otherwise, like Mr. Sheetz said, there's still the sonic crack. Personally, I don't want to have to track any more coyotes then I have to. If there's tracking snow, not much of a problem, but if it's dry hard ground, tracking a coyote that isn't leaking much transmission fluid is tough.

I've killed my share of multiples and I do believe suppressed certainly helps, but I think having sound playing as I'm shooting helps as well. If the coyote is hearing a sound such as barking, coyote fight, etc., it'll keep his little mind at least a bit side tracked when he hears the crack of a bullet.

I never killed a quad. until after I got my first suppressor. I've killed a few quads and a 6er since. BUT I also learned how to handle coyotes with the ecall better in that same time frame, so I don't credit the success to just the suppressor.

TRnCO , You are so correct in that learning how to handle the coyote and get them to do kind of what you want them to , or knowing what they will normally do under certain conditions , instead of just having them run in helter skelter is an important part of calling . That for me is as exciting as getting out to call or hunt . Tracking is a good thing but tracking a wounded animal is not the tracking that I enjoy the most it's more of a thing that I get upset at my self for bad shot placement for and then feel the need to find that animal and correct my mistake to make sure there isn't an animal suffering because of me . I have skinned too many animals with abscess caused by shot or bullets .

I am not sure whether he was using sub sonic ammo. Do you believe using a smaller caliber is important? Please explain, " I learned how to handle coyotes with an e caller." Please go into detail. Thanks.