Coyote hunting tips

I am currently using the Luckyduck Roughneck call. When possible I'll sit in/around any yucca that is tall enough for me to "almost" blend in with. Have a few spots where I actually will lay flat with my rifle on an attached bi-pod, just because there is no vegetation taller then buffalo grass. Also have some sandhill country that I hunt where there is plenty of sage brush on a hillside that makes it easy to blend in well. I always wear a half face mask and gloves.

Talking about how some coyotes just won't come to the call again. I had a stand years ago where I had 3 coyotes all together at about 500 yards. I tried multiple sounds trying to get them to come and when I finally struck the right note, 2 came and 1 left. Once again as proof that no matter how good you think you are, going to be some educated coyotes out there.

Gentlemen no problem. I'm lovin' anything we can learn from. So please keep'm coming. I do feel those of you that hunt wide open spaces are blessed. Most of my sets are in tight cover. I don't see them until were face to face. I try to put urgency in my sounds. I want them coming in at warp speed. Bad mistake on their part. If they creep in I think they have the advantage. Much like the small bobcat that crept up on me a few weeks ago.

I feel blessed to be able to call where I can see them at a distance most times but it is a curse at times also , as it can be hard to keep them from seeing you or movement . I love to learn and to share with others if I can help them .

I know some of you prefer the coyote come in slowly. However, I like for them to come barreling in. If you have had success in getting them to come in fast please explain your technique.

A lot of it depends on the time of the year and what is going on in the coyote's life , where you are in their area or if you are in fact in their area or are you trying to draw them into another coyote's area .

Voice barks stop them most times . With calling it seems like every thing plays into it . the weather , the humidity , is it high or low , the wind , or lack of it , the temp. , the time of the year , cloudy or sunny . day , or night , the type of cover heavy or light , hilly or flat terrain , rainy or snowy . These conditions all play a part in your calling as does so many more things . We can only give you the basics and a place to start from , time and doing it can give you the rest that you need to become proficient at calling depending to a large part on you yourself and what it is that you want out of your calling experiences . I'm a big proponent of keeping notes on what worked , when and why I did what I did the more detailed the better for my use latter on . Calling isn't some thing that most people can become real proficient at in a short amount of time and just a few trips out to do it . The majority of people today will not put the amount of time and effort into it to reach their full potential as callers . They will however get out there and find pleasure in calling as well as frustration , successes and failures . The vast majority of people aren't out to become professionals at calling they simply want to get out now and then to have an enjoyable day in the field . The more you study and become , at all aspects of hunting , the more you will have success at calling . Coyote ( predators ) aren't the only thing that you will find yourself trying to call , nearly any animal can be called and the more you call other animals the better you will become at calling and fooling the predators . I enjoy calling antelope , deer , badgers , even rabbits and birds of prey and scavengers . When you are calling the other animals in you can feel good about your calling abilities and know that what you are doing are the right sounds and doing it in the correct way . Keep it simple don't make it a job so that you don't have to kill something every time out other then time and enjoy what you get from being out don't let yourself become frustrated , ask yourself does it really matter that I didn't call and kill a coyote today or was the time I spend in the field worth it on it's own merit , did I enjoy seeing all the other things in the field today ? If not then maybe calling isn't really for you as a means of getting pleasure . Dave

Voice barks stop them most times . With calling it seems like every thing plays into it . the weather , the humidity , is it high or low , the wind , or lack of it , the temp. , the time of the year , cloudy or sunny . day , or night , the type of cover heavy or light , hilly or flat terrain , rainy or snowy . These conditions all play a part in your calling as does so many more things . We can only give you the basics and a place to start from , time and doing it can give you the rest that you need to become proficient at calling depending to a large part on you yourself and what it is that you want out of your calling experiences . I'm a big proponent of keeping notes on what worked , when and why I did what I did the more detailed the better for my use latter on . Calling isn't some thing that most people can become real proficient at in a short amount of time and just a few trips out to do it . The majority of people today will not put the amount of time and effort into it to reach their full potential as callers . They will however get out there and find pleasure in calling as well as frustration , successes and failures . The vast majority of people aren't out to become professionals at calling they simply want to get out now and then to have an enjoyable day in the field . The more you study and become , at all aspects of hunting , the more you will have success at calling . Coyote ( predators ) aren't the only thing that you will find yourself trying to call , nearly any animal can be called and the more you call other animals the better you will become at calling and fooling the predators . I enjoy calling antelope , deer , badgers , even rabbits and birds of prey and scavengers . When you are calling the other animals in you can feel good about your calling abilities and know that what you are doing are the right sounds and doing it in the correct way . Keep it simple don't make it a job so that you don't have to kill something every time out other then time and enjoy what you get from being out don't let yourself become frustrated , ask yourself does it really matter that I didn't call and kill a coyote today or was the time I spend in the field worth it on it's own merit , did I enjoy seeing all the other things in the field today ? If not then maybe calling isn't really for you as a means of getting pleasure . Dave

Calling Antelope? I would Love to hear more from you on this. Maybe another thread so as not to derail this one?

Sincere Thanks - Don

I like to use hand held calls for calling antelope . I have an old Burnham Brothers , and a Circe course long range jack rabbit call that are my favorite calls for this . Both are closed reed calls and have a real raspy sound . I don't call many times and wait a minute or so between calls . Calling 2 or 3 times then wait do it over again . You will know you have the right sound if you can watch the antelope out in front of you at a distance and how they are reacting to it . Pretty much the same sounds that will call in mule deer will call in antelope . Fawn blats or doe blats work for both antelope and deer just not a steady stream of sounds at any one time often less is better . It's a lot like cow elk chirps for calling a bull elk they don't make a lot of chirps at any one time but make them over a longer period of time don't get in a hurry .

I first figured out calling deer , antelope ect. when I was out calling coyote using doe and fawn blats starting in late June one year . It made me interested in seeing if I could then do it intentionally and yes I could and at almost any time of the year . Antelope are curious animals and thus the use of flagging them isn't a legal hunting method here . I call them for fun and not as a hunting tool the same as I call birds of prey .

Last edited:
I don't know when calling was first used to hunt animals it was before written history . Indigenous people from all over the world have been calling animals for centuries .

The reason I like them coming in fast is that I am much better with a shotgun than snipping at 300 plus yards. I also think they loose some of the advantage when racing in. Any time I can take some advantage away from them I am all for it.