Coyote hunting tips

Do most people carry hand calls and use them ? Do people carry and use a coaxer call for when the coyote hang up out a couple hundred yards and less ? Or have we mostly gone to using the e-calls and not the hand held calls ?

I use lip squeaks and suck on my hand also but have hand calls with me at all times . I use them more then E-callers they sound different and no two people sound the same . I find that I can change sounds in a split second with hand calls as well as imitate coyote sounds when they talk to me . They don't cost nearly as much as an E-caller does and take up a lot less space plus they don't need batteries and seldom breakdown . In the winter time I can keep them inside of my coat when I'm not using them and with the open read ones even if they freeze up it's easy to clear them and keep calling . Reemty J. and Straight Shooter you guys probably think like I do a lot on calling .

I use hand calls, a cheap e caller, lip smack sounds, or a howl. But I'm not a great caller and honestly I get about half of my yotes by chance crossings.

I don't know how the younger people do their calling for the most part as the younger ones that I know haven't learned to use hand calls so I don't know how many of them do use them . For me that was what there was when I started and I still find a place for them in my arsenal . It's all just plain interesting to hear how others do their calling . I do know that some people are on a budget and raising a family and the price of e-calls is pretty high so I would think that the cost of hand calls would be an aid to those people .

The e caller I have is a cheapy 30 buck Johnny Stewart. but I hear that the old cassette tape Johnny Stewarts were good because they were actually animal sounds.

Jill and I rescue felines from kits to grown up and some older ones from homes that can't keep them of just the kits and mother thrown out. Some people just discard animals. I have recorded some of our kits and older ones calls on my computer & phone. Play those sound in the woods where there are homes located no too far away. Coyotes come running in! Coyote also come to puppy calls. Two weeks ago a pack of Yotes attacked a neighbor's dog up the road from from us. They had to put their dog down due to severity of injuries.
It all depends on the are you are hunting and the habitat. I also use a piglet squealing. Rabbit/ birds calls are good. Again depends on the area and if they are hunted-who is hunting them and what calls are being used in past.
I am going to try to set up a hunt this weekend depending on the weather. How many I get will depend on how fast I can shoot. Sometimes I can pull in a 1/2 dozen at a time, but at night in woods after the first shot -well you know the rest.

xsn10's , The Johnny Stewart MS512 was a cassette tape caller With a good amplifier and quality speaker .I truly wish they were still available The early FoxPro's didn't come close to the abilities of the MS512's . Some of the early FoxPro sounds were ones that were the same as the Johnny Stewart sounds as well as some of them were ones that Bill Austin had on cassette tape . As with what Coyote Shadow Tracker does I used to record my own tapes on high quality tapes . Memorex did make the best tapes , they would record what ever pitches the animal put out . Also like Reemty J. I do what it takes to get the animal that is causing problems . I started calling in the 70's but was exposed to it in the 60's by a guy that only used his hand or lip squeaks . So I know that you can call with out putting much money out to do so if need be and have found that the simple way often will get the ones that others or myself have taught about the newer e-callers . I don't care who you are it happens to all of us and if we say it doesn't we are kidding ourselves we all will educate some , sometimes . They will come from behind or the side and we won't see them before they detect us , they may be out a long way when we shoot another one and we didn't see them before the shot turned them around , they may just come in some of the way and decide it's just not quit right and set or lay down then might see or smell us and leave . It's all part of the life of hunting and calling especially coyote . I still want to hear how others are doing their calling that is also part of learning more about hunting and calling sharing with each other what we do to fool the animals into coming to us instead of us going to them . The stalking of them is a whole different and very challenging world of hunting that can have a large amount written on it as well Reemty J. hint , hint !wink wink ! :) :) see this old dog can still learn some .

xsn10's , The Johnny Stewart MS512 was a cassette tape caller With a good amplifier and quality speaker .I truly wish they were still available The early FoxPro's didn't come close to the abilities of the MS512's . Some of the early FoxPro sounds were ones that were the same as the Johnny Stewart sounds as well as some of them were ones that Bill Austin had on cassette tape . As with what Coyote Shadow Tracker does I used to record my own tapes on high quality tapes . Memorex did make the best tapes , they would record what ever pitches the animal put out . Also like Reemty J. I do what it takes to get the animal that is causing problems . I started calling in the 70's but was exposed to it in the 60's by a guy that only used his hand or lip squeaks . So I know that you can call with out putting much money out to do so if need be and have found that the simple way often will get the ones that others or myself have taught about the newer e-callers . I don't care who you are it happens to all of us and if we say it doesn't we are kidding ourselves we all will educate some , sometimes . They will come from behind or the side and we won't see them before they detect us , they may be out a long way when we shoot another one and we didn't see them before the shot turned them around , they may just come in some of the way and decide it's just not quit right and set or lay down then might see or smell us and leave . It's all part of the life of hunting and calling especially coyote . I still want to hear how others are doing their calling that is also part of learning more about hunting and calling sharing with each other what we do to fool the animals into coming to us instead of us going to them . The stalking of them is a whole different and very challenging world of hunting that can have a large amount written on it as well Reemty J. hint , hint !wink wink ! :) :) see this old dog can still learn some .
I've had them be able to sneak up on me from even the front. One used a channel or canyon for concealment in the desert to get close. I got him on the run :)

My lanyard that my remote control hangs on also has two hand calls hanging on it. It's rare that I blow on them these days, but dead batteries do happen, so go prepared to blow if need be.
I've mentioned before and I'll mention again, I use the ecall almost 100% on each stand. I even have adapted to using it to stop the coyote when I'm ready to shoot with the barks that are on one of my hot button presets. I prefer, especially when there are more than one coyote, to keep them from looking my way and picking me out if possible. I don't have much for cover on lots of my stands, so I kind of tend to stick out a bit more then a lot of you do with more cover.

I've witnessed many times what Dave mentions above where there are many times when coyotes don't come to the call, or one or two will come and another that is hearing the calling won't. Heck, I've had it where I started to call and almost immediately see a coyote only to watch that coyote lay back down. I change sounds and he stands back up only to lay back down again. One time a coyote did this to me but he was already in range, so eventually I got tired of him playing his game and shot him when I got him to stand the one last time. Was only about 300 yards from me, BUT he wasn't going to come to the call, for whatever reason.
Another crazy time I had done a stand and was walking my usual 1/2 mile of so to do another, when I bumped a coyote out of it's bed, only about 4 or 500 yards from my last stand. I was walking in the bottom of the draw and the coyote came up out of it's bed up the hill from me only about 40 yards. He must've had sleep in his eyes and didn't recognize what she was seeing, and I shot her before she had a chance to run off. At the shot, her partner came out of his bed just 10 yards further up the hill, and he also didn't know what was going on and he also died right at this bed. No doubt both were plenty close to hear my calling, but simply didn't respond. Happens more often then we think.

TR , what e-caller are you using at this time ? It sounds as if you have it figured out and set up well for your use the way that I use hand calls to do the same things you are able to with your e-caller . They have been improved on in recent years for sure and I think you have mastered yours well . Where I call I have some areas with rocks and brush of one type or other but up in the mountains there is often a shortage of cover to set up in . What are some of the things that you do in low cover areas like you have . I use brown duck clothing that is faded as camo up there as it blends well with the dried grass's , rocky ,gravely soils up there as well as taking advantage of low spots , often seeing the need to lay down and limit my ability to get on incoming animals as fast as I could . The big down fall is that you resemble a deer , antelope or elk in color . I have worn a beard since 1967 , except in boot camp and training . I find it to keep my face from standing out as well as protecting me from the elements , sun , wind , snow and cold rain .

Geo , sorry about hijacking your thread guess I might be an over bearing type of person . I am hopeful that people are learning a lot from this post as that is what you intended when you started it by the tittle of it .