Coyote hunting tips

I have a good friend who has a full body mount coyote that he killed in Butterbean's neck of the woods about 20 years ago. It was a certified 58lb. The mount is amazing. It's like looking at a 180" deer. Like people see a big deer and say, "it must have been 180!", and then when you hold the rack of a 180" deer in your hands, you realize that you've never bumped into anything so big in your life.
ShoNuff

In the 80's the DNR introduced the mexican red wolf into north and south carolina .
Of course TN shares a border with both states. We occasionally have reported sightings in East TN every year, but you know how unreliable that stuff is. Especially since our coyotes are mostly rusty red.

We have a few different sub species of coyote in this area and for the most part they act pretty much the same . there is a smaller one with fine fur call sand hills or dakota coyote , there are big mountain coyote that have a lot of black in their main , there medium sized redder ones and then you get some that are called Montana silvers . In the 80's I had a couple of years that I killed a lot of small coyote not much different in size then a red fox . There was a guy that killed the adults by gunning them from a chopper but left the pups saying they will die but in the end a lot of them ended up being runts . All the rabbits here the nine different sub species of cotton tail and the three different types of hairs go in nine year cycles and die off it takes nine years for them to come back then they have an abundance for about nine years and will die off in a couple of years then nine more to come back .

We have a few different sub species of coyote in this area and for the most part they act pretty much the same . there is a smaller one with fine fur call sand hills or dakota coyote , there are big mountain coyote that have a lot of black in their main , there medium sized redder ones and then you get some that are called Montana silvers . In the 80's I had a couple of years that I killed a lot of small coyote not much different in size then a red fox . There was a guy that killed the adults by gunning them from a chopper but left the pups saying they will die but in the end a lot of them ended up being runts . All the rabbits here the nine different sub species of cotton tail and the three different types of hairs go in nine year cycles and die off it takes nine years for them to come back then they have an abundance for about nine years and will die off in a couple of years then nine more to come back .
I appreciate a man with a knowledge of the ecology in his area. You are definitely well studied.

in the old country we had a genetic mutant fox called a "Sampson" fox, it is a red fox with no guard hairs, just the thick under wool. Cannot tell real easy till you walk up on a dead one.....back in about 1981 I shot one, we curled it up in a tire till it froze, then set it on a snow drift next to a guys place that hunts fox...:rolleyes:.. he snook up on it and went "BLAM, BLAM" and then he said "that F---ing Johnson" boy oh boy did we laugh when he related that story...…….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣;) there are few limits to good natured pranks...…..I bet he thought he was pretty sneaky when that ol fox never even lifted his head to look around...….

Last edited:
I study and not just the things in my area that's why they stopped calling me cricket and started calling me professor . There should be no stopping in the learning process . I grew up with a dad and brother that were convinced they were smarter then any body else and always told me how much more they knew then me then when they felt threatened they would throw a yelling screaming cussing fit even hitting me at times so I stayed quiet and studied till I could leave and coyote held a special place for me as they are a lot of things that so many people lack . To me the thing is to study them and keep detailed notes then I know how , when , why and where I can call them . I've always been more comfortable around them then people as they do what they do to live . So keep good notes and study them in your area and after a while let us know the why , when , where , what it is that you figure out about the coyote in your area that would be the best calling tip anybody could give you on calling coyote in your area . Have a good journey through life it's a new adventure with every sunrise .