Coyote hunting tips

You better take GOOD care of that landowner !!!

DMP25-06
I'm assembling him an ar15 rifle for free. He wants a twin to the 6mm arc that I just put together, and he offered me a pretty hefty fee to do it, but I told him that I wouldn't charge him for it. He has given me carte blanche on thousands of acres of excellent ground. He's an awesome guy.

I'm assembling him an ar15 rifle for free. He wants a twin to the 6mm arc that I just put together, and he offered me a pretty hefty fee to do it, but I told him that I wouldn't charge him for it. He has given me carte blanche on thousands of acres of excellent ground. He's an awesome guy.
You are a good man .
I know that he will doubly appreciate the gift .

DMP25-06

You are a good man .
I know that he will doubly appreciate the gift .

DMP25-06
He's paying for the components though. I should have probably clarified that. He wrote me a check for $2k, and I'm shopping, gathering and assembling free of charge. I wish I could afford to pay for a gift like that, but alas, I am a poor working man.

For a lot of years I didn't trust the AR platform . Todays AR's aren't the same as they were when they first came out with them and don't seem to have the amount of problems they had then . There are a lot of parts manufacturers out there and not all are created equal . Around 10 years ago I decided to study them and found some interesting things about them . For myself I like a side charging upper that is sturdy and a little over sized without a forward assist so that it is more ridged . For me then if I want a scope on it it's easier to charge and I also find it works better for me with a cheek riser . I true the barrel extension to the bolt carrier group bore of the receiver also . I'm a fan of drop in triggers as well as you can get some fine triggers these days . I have machined a few lowers from blanks but I have found that some of them are made well . The chances of getting well fitting parts today are far better then they were in the past and with study , fore though and attention to detail a very fine one can be built today but for me I will always like my bolt guns better and that is just me . There are some good armors out there and a ton of AR's being used every day .

This all fits into the calling tips because it doesn't make much difference if you use a rifle , shot gun , pistol or AR you need to be comfortable with it have confidence that it will do what you need it to so then you don't want some thing that you aren't at ease with and haven't used enough to be that way with it .

Ok, maybe a half hour ago I called 2 in, shot the male at 50y, made the female stop at about 150y, and she stood there broadside for about 3 seconds. She ran to my right, and I'm right handed, so it was the worst angle, but I picked my tripod up and set it down and missed her. I saw the splash under her belly. Picked up and moved about 800y into an area I've never been, and man did I find a great stand location. This is a cut hay field, and I've seen them crossing it from afar. I'll probably sit here for an hour before I turn my call on in case they heard me coming in. I've got a 3-5mph wind blowing right to left, and from a little bit behind me, so it isn't great, but it keeps switching. When I was walking over here it was mostly in my face.

Attachments

• 20210226_141125.jpg
    20210226_141125.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
I played a couple of passive howls on that last stand, then a raccoon fight, followed by raccoon pup distress. I started and stopped the raccoon pup distress for at least 20 minutes total, 2 on, 5 off or so, and then I hit crows. I had some crows flying around reacting to the distress, so I played crows non-stop for a while. I was at almost an hour when they showed up.

Well, the wind switched 180° on me an hour before dark and was blowing my funk right into their sanctuary, so I had to bail without success. Now we have dumping rain for the next few days, so I will be staring out the window mournfully wondering if the coyotes are thinking about me too.

The last few times I've been out I've only played the Foxpro once. The places I've been hunting have some heavy pressure. The one time I did turn on the call, I had spotted a coyote at a distance. He was not interested in the least. Today I skipped bringing the call and just had binos, shooting sticks and a rifle. I hiked the hillside with the sun at my back and the wind in face constantly glassing.
After a couple miles it was just like I thought, I found a pair laying on the leeward side of a hillside laying in the sun, clueless to me😬

So.... the last two outings I've gone 4 for 6 without calling. It's a fairly new tactic to me, but like others have said, less can be better. Just because we buy these fancy calls, doesn't mean we always have to use them....

I hope this may help!

Bob

Raccoon sounds are on my list of new sounds for me to try. Have you had good luck with those sounds?
That was the first time I ever tried it seriously. I had heard both Steve Criner and Tory from MFK use it successfully on their shows. They were bouncing around the raccoon sounds, playing mixes of fights and distress, so I figured I'd give it a try. Tory from MFK is by far the closest TV coyote killer to my geographical location, so I've been trying to replicate some of his strategies. I can't even say for sure that mine came to the coon sounds at all since I'd been playing crows for quite a while when they showed up, but.... maybe? I'd also like to know if it's working for others.