Coyote hunting tips

My hope is that we all continue to learn from each other in 2021 as well as enjoy the pursuit of the coyote weather it's for control or just to get out and have some enjoyable time out listening to and being out with friends and family not all of us are OCD about the coyote like I am and that is the way it should be !

I'm in central Wyoming . Rolling hills, flat lands, mountains, and pretty rough deep draws , with a few trees mostly along rivers and streams till you get into the mountains . A lot of rocky hills both in the plains and mountains some pretty open country with large areas of grass lands . I have some deep draws with cedar trees , some pine ridges and some that you would call bad lands like in South Dakota . It's a variety of terrain .

Use Nose Jammer spray. The wind direction won't matter then. Just be sure that you have your wife smell it first so she knows where the smell came from. When you smell it yourself you'll understand what I'm saying lol

Only move when they AREN'T looking your direction.
Watch their ears and body language to determine whether you need to shoot now or let them get closer. Ears shifting and walking in circles means that they're about to haul ***. Ears perked forward and head moving slightly side to side means you still have their curiosity and to be patient and let them come.

You have seen lots of sign. You have done everything right. However, you can't get any action. I just read about a study where they found, depending on prey, a coyotes territory could be as large as forty square miles. So maybe he is just out of town for the weekend. Be persistent give it another try.

The size of a coyotes territory depends on a lot of things prey being one of the major ones . Coyote numbers being another , the sex of the coyote being another time of the year and age of the coyote also account for how much they travel . In late 1997 I took some coyote that had the pads worn down and bloody from traveling . South Dakota had some real deep snow and cold temperatures that lasted for over a month and a half . The drainage I was working ran for over a hundred miles straight over to South Dakota . They were small and pale fine furred coyote of the type you find there and in the sand hills of Nebraska

I have had better luck watching the wind direction and what I smell like over the cover scents . I prefer to keep my clothes clean and free of odors from the home and laundry . Wash my clothing with a good laundry soap that doesn't have a lot of scent added to it . Shower with a good soap that doesn't have a lot of scent in it as well as use a good antiperspirant with little scent . Do a little studying on how the military deal with their scent when on long range patrol and recon . You want to smell like a human but not stink like a human and come home with out offending your family and friends .

Here is a tip " trigger stick " I carrying it always for two reasons, one I can extend it all the way up and use for a rock steady glassing platform for my binos and also for walking stick, but also use it like the Africahners do, as a platform for steading rifle shooting while standing. When stalking coyotes it works amazingly well. Once you know you are on the last rise before you can see them, release the legs and spread them ( I have two legged one) put your gun in the Y yoke get the height you want, which is easy and quiet with a trigger stick. As you slowly proceed forward put the legs out and down first then walk into them, keep doing this until you can spot the coyotes ears. the beauty of it is the gun is similar level to your head and you barely show over the skyline and you can " ka-Pow them right away....... you can not do this with a sitting a Harris bipod I have tried and failed with that a lot.......don't reinvent the wheel, just copy our safari buddies....YMMV 🤝👍🙏😉

Last edited:
How far do you feel good shooting off your trigger stick?
I have tried coyote and fox urine, skunk scent, and cover scents like Dead Down Wind. I have called coyotes within feet whether I was using these or not. The one place where they worked is nearly getting me kicked out of the family. I ruined my brothers new expensive hunting boots. My wife and his, wanted to burn our clothes and to this day I am blamed for the awful smell in the laundry room. I still use Dead Down Wind; and does it work? If nothing else it is a confidence builder, so for that reason I say yes. I definately believe in keeping clean and using a scent free soap like DSheetz explained.