Coyote hunting tips

TRnCO what e caller and what number are the sounds you use. Awesome. I know you mentioned Lucky Duck. Have you tried the FoxPro? If so give us your thoughts and the sounds you used with success.

Last edited:
The old timers would never tell you what they used so that you couldn't use the same calls and teach the coyote to be spooky of their sounds as well as they didn't like others taking their animals . They called it taking money out of their pockets and food off their table . Interesting how things have changed .

"TRnCO what caliber/bullet to you use on coyotes?" 17-204 is my primary fur getter using a 30 gr. Nagel, these days

"TRnCO what e caller and what number are the sounds you use. Awesome. I know you mentioned Lucky Duck. Have you tried the FoxPro? If so give us your thoughts and the sounds you used with success. "

For the last few years I've been using the Revolution and more recently the Revolt. I use so many different sounds that trying to list them all doesn't make sense. Which sounds a guy uses shouldn't be chosen on what someone else uses. Sure there are some sounds that everyone likes that get used a lot, but if a guy owns a Lucky Duck call, he should be able to figure out what works, and doesn't, for him, same with any Ecall on the market.
I did use a Fox Pro for a few years before switching to Lucky Duck. I can't remember even which sounds I used on it, but I do know that the vocals that a guy can get on the Lucky Duck, especially the fight sounds, are simply unmatched by any other call maker, currently.

I don't worry too much about sharing info. mainly because I hunt nearly 100% of private ground, and honestly I don't really have much pressure from others. That's a big part of my success. the area that I focus on isn't pounded from others. Matter of fact, i think a lot of callers would drive right on by a lot of the ground that I call on, because it doesn't look coyote rich from the road.

You hit on a weakness of mine, coyote vocals. Once again I say thanks. If you have any more tips or hunts you would like to share were listening. How did you like the Revolt? Advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
The upgraded remote on the Revolt, when compared to the Revolution, is night and day difference. Much better in every way. I do miss the rotation ability of the Revolution, much more then I thought I would. Those are the two things, the good and the bad, that stick out to me.

The beauty of the Revolution was the ability to rotate it. After all, how many times have you been sitting on stand, calling and thinking to yourself, "man, I need to turn up the volume, can't hardly hear it." and then with the Revolution rotate it to point directly at you and then realize, yep, plenty of volume, or too much volume, etc. It is amazing just how directional the sounds are, coming from the call.

When I call, I do it a bit differently then lots of guys. I don't expect every coyote with-in ear shot of the call to actually come to the call. Sure, they'll come a mile plus, some times. BUT at least in the area that I call, the chances of the coyote coming to the call go up exponentially if I can cut the distance for the coyote to come, to 1/2 mile+ or -. So I call softer and walk more then lots of guys. I kind of think of it as a low impact style of calling. I don't want a coyote to hear the call if he's not going to come to the call. So I do my stands with less distance between them then what I think most guys do. I've had days where I could a stand every half mile or so and call coyotes stand after stand. In my mind if a guy goes into that same country and blasts his call as loud as it can go, he's going to educate more then he kills. Your mileage may differ from mine, it's just the style that I've adapted to over the years.

TRnCO, That has been exactly what I have also found to be true and I started when there weren't any e-calls or even tapes .

It doesn't matter what caliber or bullet you shoot put good glass on your rifles and take good care of it keep it cleaned well , use good lens caps and do the best you can to not let it get scratched . If you spend much time glassing have good glass there as well and also keep it clean and scratch free . Eye strain sux and will give you a head ache from hades .

It is just light enough so my brother and I can see to make our way around the edge of the pond. Light rays fan out off my right shoulder. My brother has his model 70 in 243 with bi-pod under arm as he leads the way. I have my Remington Versa Max with EO Tech loaded with 00 on my shoulder. In hand my calling bag. It has a cs24(e caller), seats, and a primos decoy. We move slow, steady, and with stealth as we make our way up and over one end of the dam. About half way down the side of the dam opposite the water we begin to set up. My brother takes the caller and decoy and places it 25 yards from the dam. At another 25 yards is a big cedar. That sits in the middle of a small opening that we are over looking, then tree line all around. He makes his way back as I set up seats and the cs24 remote. We sit with small brush in front. The 12 in my lap the 243 leaning on him. As the sun brakes we sit there for a few minutes just taking in the moment. It just does not get any better. The wind is in my
face. After scouting a few minutes I hit pre-set 1(cottontail distress). In short order a very large female comes flying around the cedar tree following a well used trail. Realizing she had been duped, she almost turns inside out at the decoy doing a mid air 180. The Versa settled in my shoulder and the EO Tech was on her nose. The 00 hit her in the shoulders.

Last edited:
Why did I decide to tell you about this stand? Because it is my favorite stellar stand.. The story above is from this years hunt. This years hunt and the two years before we did the same set, same hunt. Everything; everything played out exactly the same. Right down to the very large female flying around the cedar tree and the 00 finishing the hunts. These places are special.