Coyote hunting tips

not all people sound the same either they are all individuals too but if you take the time to listen to them and learn what the different howls , barks and combinations of them mean you can figure out what they are up to and what you want to say to get them interested in coming over to see you . It's kind of like listening to a tick speaking persons language . Different ticks ,length of ticks and clicks tones of each all have meaning to them .

I wonder if this year we may see Fox Pro and other e-caller companies advertise calls with sound "above the range of human hearing", like theBurnham Bros. new call.

Eric B.

I would be surprised if others don't follow in short order. Hunterbob, I like you, love a great coyote hunting story. I hoped to open this thread up to that some time ago. I just wanted this thread to be a learning experience and not a bs one. So please let her rip. Looking forward to hearing some great stories.

geo4061 , look up rambling and such from coyote hunting coyote there are a couple of stories there you may like . I'm pretty sure that if the call makers will get them to reproduce all of the higher and lower tones that we don't hear they will be the better for it as will use that use them .

I would be surprised if others don't follow in short order. Hunterbob, I like you, love a great coyote hunting story. I hoped to open this thread up to that some time ago. I just wanted this thread to be a learning experience and not a bs one. So please let her rip. Looking forward to hearing some great stories.

Attachments

• 14368622_1365264610157978_2258151882080349372_n.jpg
    14368622_1365264610157978_2258151882080349372_n.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180319_141521.jpg
    20180319_141521.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20180423_114502.jpg
    20180423_114502.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 122
I been hunting coyotes since the 70's` ,,, used to shoot on sight.. Now here in Texas , I see how much more of a problem they have become. I hunt on some ranches with all methods used. Sometimes nothing comes to the call, for a lot of reasons too. So you can't take too much time calling, or being seen. It makes them smarter... I prefer 6 to 10 am ,, or at sundown and i have the right lights and a Digital NV scope...
I have called in an area in daytime and had nothing come or answer.. I came back at sundown in the same place and we called out seven yotes; got three,,, After a few more trips there was just one left in that area ... Some times a shot at 60 yds , some at 100 or less in the dark.. Early morning out to 450 yds... Sometimes at night its a yote down with a shotgun , cause he's that close ,, and of course the bobcats, and lions.
So, I haven't been on the site much because i am busy lol . I have helped a lot of ranchers with traps too; showed them how to do it..

Last edited:
Always be prepared to shoot when moving. Yesterday I was walking into a really strong headwind and nearly stepped on one. The whole pack took off and I was not prepared.
Bark when that happens , or give a rabbit call.. disappear as soon as they see you though, you'l get another chance sometimes .
Never look at them directly either, only when you're squeezing off a round.

Always hide your truck and be super quiet and careful getting to the set. Sound carries a long **** way when you're in the middle of nowhere. Also cover your downwind side and expect the worst when a dog is getting near your scent cone. Cold weather and a light breeze makes for the farthest carrying and strongest scent cone.

Best of luck to all of those getting after it.
Yep. No door slamming. Not even a little. Push it closed like you got a field full of pheasant 15 yards away.

one thing that always comes to mind for me, is the stand, getting into it unseen and getting one that gives you maximum view in relation to the wind. Being able to see and shoot your downwind is a huge key to continual success.............some stands are just stellar, but a lot are just so-so, you end up giving up some view or shooting lanes. Or you just get up and move as your gut tells you the stand is poor. Seems a lot of people worry about their sound, but to me, the stand set up is way more important. After a while you get better and better at picking good stands.