Coyote hunting tips

My competition 6.5 Creed. Ruger Precision Rifle likes 120 gr. Hornady ELD-M (Match) bullets so I may try it if I idon'thave to lug that 16 lb. thing too far.

Eric B.

Where I live howling depends on the time of the year . I will howl from Jan. to mid June then give it a break let the coyote tell you weather to howl or not , listen to what they are doing as far as vocalizations spend more time studying them then killing them until you know them . A good quality casette tape will beat an Electronic caller as it will have the tones that we don't hear but the coyote do . Good quality is the key the tapes have to be good quality as well as the player . I used a Johnny Stewart MS512 for a lot of years it worked better for me then the fox pro E-caller they all will work at times with the right sounds .

Thanks for that advice.......I can tell the difference with a lot of the E-callers, they sound tinny or, just different.............and my ears are not good at all. Imagine how easily the coyotes do.............?

Study , Study , learn your opponent . There have been a lot of studies done on the coyote , Collage Station Texas has some real interesting reading on the studies they have done as does Southern California . The best informed on howling , person I met was a guy named Bill Austen , he's long gone . He studied them and learned what it was their howls meant . For instance two howls two barks and one howl then wait a few minutes and repeat this a few time is just asking if anyone is out there wanting to visit . Two short howls and two short barks wait a few seconds then repeat is a parent asking where the pups are . Here in my state both adults help in raising the pups and often there will be a pup from last year helping with that job .

Burnham Brothers has a new electronic call, The Rogue. It plays ultra sonic sounds. Gary Robertson, owner, says the coyote makes total commitment to these sounds. What are your thoughts?

The hearing range that canines hear is so much broader then ours that any thing that can transmit these frequencies accurately can't help but be better for us as callers .

Burnham Brothers has a new electronic call, The Rogue. It plays ultra sonic sounds. Gary Robertson, owner, says the coyote makes total commitment to these sounds. What are your thoughts?
If you can't hear it how do you know it's on or how loud it is ?

We don't hear the range of frequencies that they do but if you want to know if the frequencies are there for sure there are places that can set up and raise or lower the frequencies so you can hear the sounds and tell you if they are truly there they can set up and show a display of what frequencies are being played on a graph for you to see them . When you go to an audiologist they test your hearing with a wide range of frequencies and can tell you which ones you can and can't hear and will give you a graph showing you the results . Elephants have the ability to make and hear ultra low frequencies over great distances that we can't hear but we know now that they do from recording them and then being able to change them to frequencies that we can hear as well as showing them on a graph for us to see .

Over the years I have noticed that coyote are harder to trap and snare when the moon is nearly full to full . I think it is mostly due to them being able to see so well with the moon light . I have also noted that they call better 2 hrs. before and after moon raise and moon set much like the other critters it seams that they some what follow the moon with their feeding . Maybe it's due to their pray being more active at those times .

Stay after dark. The mouse and rat are mainstays in the coyotes diet. They don't become active until the sun goes down. Hunt when there is no or very little moon. Be especially quite, get in close, and lets hear your best squeaks and squeals at low volume.

Last edited:
If you start out using lower volume , with hand held or e-callers , you can always increase the volume but you can't take back the sounds if they are too loud to begin with . I have had good luck calling during the day when the moon is up during day lite hours . Over the years I watched the fishing charts and found that there was some comparison with them and calling . Some one once took some sea urchin from the east coast to Kansas and they changed their feeding pattern to the time difference of the moon rise from the coast to that of the moon rise of Kansas in just a matter of days . Just some interesting trivia to think about . I have good night vision but theirs is a lot better then mine could ever be . They have different rod and cone assemblies in their eyes then I do . as well as their eye placement is higher up on their head so they have a better field of view nearing 360 degrees to my around 180 .

BTW, in the "SHOOTING STICKS" post there are a lot of ideas. In coyote hunting out west, and big fields back east, long distance shots are fairly common. Shooting sticks are very helpful.

Personally I like "Quick stiX". They are silver dollar sized high impact plastic (like Delrin) that clamp just below the handles of your hiking poles. The discs mate and with a twist you have X'd hiking poles.

Since most hiking poles are adjustable you can quickly adjust the legs for height and uneven terrain. My rifle's forearm rests between the cork handles of my X'd hiking poles.

For about $45. and maybe 3 oz. you have dual purpose hiking poles/shooting sticks.
With my 6.5 PRC Browning X-bolt Pro these poles with Quick stiX work very well from sitting and kneeling positions.

Eric B.

Last edited: