Coyote hunting tips

What's new? Burnham Brothers are working on new sounds that the coyote can hear but we can't. Their thinking is that they should be very effective on high pressured coyotes. If I were in the market for an electronic call I would check these out as soon as they are available.
How do you know if it's on if you can't hear it ?

Last edited:
I have a device that came out recently that turns my hiking poles into shooting sticks. It is called Quick stiX.
Basically two high impact black plastic discs that clamp on your hiking poles just below the handles. Mate them and twist. VOILE', shooting sticks for $45.

I've found they require a little practice so you know how to quickly get into a stable position when sitting.
->Pre-adjust your hiking poles to the proper height when sitting.
->Put your pack on your lap and your off hand back under the butt stock, arm resting on the pack.
->Be sure you rifle forearm either sits centered on your sling or that the sling is not on the crossed sticks at all. No tangled sling under the forearm.

Eric B.

What's new? Burnham Brothers are working on new sounds that the coyote can hear but we can't. Their thinking is that they should be very effective on high pressured coyotes. If I were in the market for an electronic call I would check these out as soon as they are available.

Wedgy,
I read that report, American Rifleman I think. Looks like a new solution to more authentic calls. We know domestic dogs can hear sounds above and below the frequencies humans can so the same holds true for coyotes.

Eric B.

243 isn't fur friendly

223 with an 8 twist shooting 75 A Max up to 80gr A Max or SMK

7 twist 22-250 shooting 75 a max to the 90gr berger
243 isn't fur friendly

223 with an 8 twist shooting 75 A Max up to 80gr A Max or SMK

7 twist 22-250 shooting 75 a max to the 90gr berger

55gr ballistic tip or 58gr v-max out of 243 is super fur friendly. I'm getting 3925 fps and NEVER have an exit hole.

As for getting these coyotes, for fur, there are many ways to do it...Anyway we can get them is good...to bring down the population of these predators... A 110 gr vmax for my 308 doesn't do a bad job... The calls they have on the market are getting bigger and bigger ...I have an ecotec , but my hand calls work the best...too much calling on those ecalls for me.. I have done better with some $8.00 calls and without continuous blowing too... I have a rabbit call, a bird chirping/ pup call, and a howler …

Attachments

• 20180319_142350.jpg
    20180319_142350.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
I'm not trying to sound like a bad ***, this wasway more of being fortunate with the location I lived and hunted in. I used to hunt yotes at least 150 days a year, for many years, and rarely ever got skunked. I'm talking hundred of yotes over that period.

Use the quietest weapon you can. I've taken 90+% of my yotes with a 17HMR. I could drop one, move 100 yards and get right back to calling. If I'm out there with a big bore center fire with a brake on it I get one trigger pull and that whole area is toast for the day unless you've got dogs.

Know their breeding cycle. If they're denning use a pup distress. You'll get every female within a square mile on a sprint straight to you. I've had a female actually trip over my boot during this time of year she came in so hard and still didn't know I was there or care.

Know the calving season for the area you are in. That applies to cows as well. Tons of free range cattle all over this country and when they have calves the yotes are all over them like deer and elk. Know where those animals congregate when they have calves, hunt there, religiously.

Be as close to humans as you can. The more concentrated the humans are, the more dogs there are.

The colder it is, the better your chances are, even in the middle of the desert. I don't know why this is, but it is.

They are some of the most impressive animals on the planet with their senses and physical ability. Don't spend more than 15 minutes in one spot. If they aren't there or you don't see one working in, move.

I know this is a long range forum, but try to call them into tight places. Again, 90+% of the yotes I've taken were within 50 yards, most way way closer than that.

Make the shot as soon as it's there. Most the time they know where you are long before you know where they are. If you see it, have a bullet on the way.

Find where they are. In the hundreds of thousands of acres of accessible land in the southern AZ desert most of it is a waste of time. Like everywhere else with every other animal. Certain areas are like a gumball machine. The great part is just about every land owner in America will let you hunt coyotes on their property. Dress nice, have a firm handshake, and knock on doors if you know of good areas on private property.

Lastly, like with all hunting, you gotta be out there a lot to be successful.

I'm not trying to sound like a bad ***, this wasway more of being fortunate with the location I lived and hunted in. I used to hunt yotes at least 150 days a year, for many years, and rarely ever got skunked. I'm talking hundred of yotes over that period.

Use the quietest weapon you can. I've taken 90+% of my yotes with a 17HMR. I could drop one, move 100 yards and get right back to calling. If I'm out there with a big bore center fire with a brake on it I get one trigger pull and that whole area is toast for the day unless you've got dogs.

Know their breeding cycle. If they're denning use a pup distress. You'll get every female within a square mile on a sprint straight to you. I've had a female actually trip over my boot during this time of year she came in so hard and still didn't know I was there or care.

Know the calving season for the area you are in. That applies to cows as well. Tons of free range cattle all over this country and when they have calves the yotes are all over them like deer and elk. Know where those animals congregate when they have calves, hunt there, religiously.

Be as close to humans as you can. The more concentrated the humans are, the more dogs there are.

The colder it is, the better your chances are, even in the middle of the desert. I don't know why this is, but it is.

They are some of the most impressive animals on the planet with their senses and physical ability. Don't spend more than 15 minutes in one spot. If they aren't there or you don't see one working in, move.

I know this is a long range forum, but try to call them into tight places. Again, 90+% of the yotes I've taken were within 50 yards, most way way closer than that.

Make the shot as soon as it's there. Most the time they know where you are long before you know where they are. If you see it, have a bullet on the way.

Find where they are. In the hundreds of thousands of acres of accessible land in the southern AZ desert most of it is a waste of time. Like everywhere else with every other animal. Certain areas are like a gumball machine. The great part is just about every land owner in America will let you hunt coyotes on their property. Dress nice, have a firm handshake, and knock on doors if you know of good areas on private property.

We have called in coyotes , shot one ,, stayed right there and here comes another one to the call....day time and night time...... with 223, to 6.8 , 308 ...

absolutely. I start almost every sequence with a howl.
Sometimes I howl and then wait for up to 5 minutes before I do anything else. Sometimes they will sneak in with just the howl...especially just before and during mating season.

Spoken by a a true yote killer,I almost sprung for a 17hmr but shooting both side by side the report was negligible.If a man practices at least twice a month most can kill yotes with an accurate well scoped 22 head shots easily to 100 yards,and I agree most called yotes are usually within 100 yards.Anyway I went with the 17WSM,we'll see how it pans out down the road two down so far.Good hunting.

Recent Posts