Coyote hunting tips

If you are like me and don't have to many places to hunt yotes and they get call shy you see them and they want come in but you know they come by all the time try just putting a motion decoy out and do not call. Be silent and have the patients of a fence post. Another thing I am starting to do. I have a friend that has a restaurant and they give me 5 gal. buckets of bacon grease. I have been poring it out on the ground making bait stations with it. I thought it might help to keep drawing them in . I try and shoot them before it clogs their arteries LOL:)

Try not to expose yourself when going into a calling location. Use the terrain as much as you can and assume they are looking for you as you come in. Dont silhouette yourself ever. Learned that hunting the more open areas in the west. You might set up right next to them if your quiet coming in. Thats why you start of with low volume. For yotes I like to sit 30 minutes per stand as they can come in from a long way away. Watch for magpies out west or crows in the east as they often come in right before the yote does. We also try to have the rifles cover downwind and a shotgunner cover upwind as just like big buck they often get close than try to come around from down wind on a final approach. I also skinned them on the spot as often I was a mile or better from the truck out west. Lastly Turkey loads are very efficient at putting yotes down at ranges beyond 50 yards. I also love the Dead Coyote stuff from Hevy Shot.

Cover your down wind. How? Use the terrain an open field, a farm house, or a tank dam. Place these backstops to your back wind in your face. Coyotes will avoid these things especially during the daytime. You just put them where you want them. This coyote came in upwind because our downwind was blocked by the tank dam we were set up on. Shot at 30 yards with 3.5" Remington 00 head on. It knocked him over backwards. Never moved.

Attachments

• Thermal hunt 2 020.jpg
    Thermal hunt 2 020.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 291
Coyote calendar.
January February- breeding season
May first- pups are born
August first, September, October- pups hunt with the adults
October, November, December- pups are now hunting on their own
November, December they begin looking for mates
Use this to help you decide which sound to use and what time of year should yield the best response.

" If a coyote is still struggling, keep pounding it!" Tim Titus rule number five. I have recently spent way too much time looking for lost coyotes, hogs and a bobcat. Just did not want to tear them up. Never again. From now on I will aim for the head or neck and I will not forget rule #5.

If you are like me and don't have to many places to hunt yotes and they get call shy you see them and they want come in but you know they come by all the time try just putting a motion decoy out and do not call. Be silent and have the patients of a fence post. Another thing I am starting to do. I have a friend that has a restaurant and they give me 5 gal. buckets of bacon grease. I have been poring it out on the ground making bait stations with it. I thought it might help to keep drawing them in . I try and shoot them before it clogs their arteries LOL:)
Been putting the bacon grease in plastic water bottles with the top off. Hanging them from tree limbs about 3 feet off the ground with nylon string so the coons and possums can't get it. The yotes can bite the bottles and get the grease. This has been working good. but You still have to be there when they are. It does keep them coming back.

Don't forget that coyote calling is a numbers game. The more you play the better your odds. Offer up sounds that will appeal to the majority of coyotes without intimidation or suspicion. Patient and Persistence.

Mistakes we all make.
Calling where their not. Do your scouting. Howling and listening late evening pays dividends.
Using the wrong call. Try new and different sounds. They won't respond to sounds that have burnt them in the past.
Spoiling your set up. Coyotes are extremely observant. When entering their world be stealthy!
Your calling too loud too soft too often or not often enough. Experience will help here. Keep stand notes. Let them tell you what they want.
Your just not seeing them. Your set up area has poor visibility. Over called your small hunting area. Spend time working on new hunting areas. You do not call long enough. Call at least 30 to 45 minutes. Your hunting in a high pressured area. Be smart, stealthy, subtle, and try new sounds. Keep a positive attitude and you will be rewarded.

When is the best time to call in a coyote? Les Johnson from the show Predator Quest says it is the last thirty minutes before sundown. His reasoning is that coyotes that were not successful hunters in the previous night have laid up hungry all day. Hunger hopefully lowers their defensives and they come running.

The best time to hunt yotes is just before a big storm ,,, they are hunting like crazy so they can set out the storm with a full belly !

And also just after a big storm those that had to set out the storm with an empty belly are now VERY hungry !

Coyote pups are born in late March to May. Litters are usually five to seven equally male to female. Mortality in the first year can run as high as seventy per cent. Coyotes are good parents and have been known to adopt the homeless. Lucky for us they aren't good at counting. These things make them vulnerable to pup in distress. Yearlings disperse as early as six months or a year or more. Most between October and January when food resources become tough. This is the most successful time of year to call. Lots of hungry new ears out there.