Coyote hunting tips

So when I looked at the ARCA tri pod system they had different types of mounting systems . A mount that used a hex wrench to tighten it to a pic rail and a quick release plat that you mounted to your rifle . Some came with these some didn't . I'm an old guy and perhaps I'm set in my ways but I don't like to carry more stuff around then I had to so often I would leave this kind of thing in my truck all the time it's only been stolen once from my truck but then I had to decide what part of it I wanted to replace or what I then wanted to take in the home with me and then back to the truck every day . Not a bad thing when you are pleasure hunting but a real pain in the back side when you do it every day except maybe 15-20 days a year . I find that it's a lot of expense and that there are some people , mostly just getting started , that can't afford it just at this time in life . You also have those that will take it to pawn it . I don't have room in my garage for my work truck so it sets in my drive plus it got pretty muddy or covered in ice and snow some days that I didn't want falling off in the garage so then I didn't spend the money on things that others might want to break into my truck and take from me as well as leave me with more expense to repair the damage to my truck . I for some reason don't like to pay for something twice . Once to buy it for someone else then once to replace what someone else wanted to take from me .

Look at the tripod and mount sold by Night Googles. This will show you what to look for. There are several places that sell these like Brownells. My ball has a straight extension with a plate on top that has a dove tail channel that has a thumb screw to tighten the ARCA plate to your ball. This is one piece. Nothing to fall out of the truck. You then buy the ARCA mount ( just a flat plate with a dove tail that screws into and stays on your pic rail). Get the plate with three screws it is more secure. The hex wrench is used to tighten the three bolts on the flat plate that stays on your pic rail. So your done with the wrench you don't carry it with you. Store it with the other half dozen you have at home. This mount dove tails into the flat plate above your ball and then hand tightens with attached thumb screw. This mount is very stable and solid. Much better than the "Death Grip". The system is two plates. One screws into the stem on your ball head. The other clamps to your rifles pic rail. They then dove tail together and you tighten the thumb screw on the bottom plate to secure or release. You need to have a pic rail on the under side of your stock at close to the balance spot of your rifle for this mount to be a good option.

Last edited:
I did that a couple of times early in life it was fun . Just figure where your going find out about the laws and look for places you can hunt in advance . When the fur prices were high in the 70's and early 80's there were a few trappers and hunters that did that .

Let's make it a group trip. How about New Mexico in September?

It seems like coyote mecca
I live in SE NM and, yes, there are a lot of coyotes here. There's also a lot of calling pressure here. This was one of the favorite areas for the coyote calling contests before the "Progressives" outlawed them.

There is also a great deal of public land here, mostly BLM and even that is covered under cattle or sheep grazing allotments. For the most part, the ranchers welcome coyote hunters, it's just a matter of talking to them first and letting them know where you are going to be and asking permission to also hunt their private land. They can, and do, provide you with info on where the most coyote sightings are.

We've been in an "Exceptional Drought" for over two years now and it has greatly affected the prey populations, plus we have had RHD (Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease) go through here in the last year, decimating both the cottontail and jackrabbit populations.
I found numerous coyote carcasses in the last six months where they apparently died of starvation.

Come on out and shoot some critters!

Bring hand calls as well as your e-callers, night vision and/or Thermal if you have it, and get the "onX" hunting app for your phone and/or laptop.

"onX" premium will give you the property boundaries, landowners name, Game Management Unit#, topo, contour lines, most of the roads and two-tracks, and you can mark waypoints and share them. It can keep you out of trouble, too! ;)

It seems that most folks use FoxPro e-callers and the 'yotes are well educated and will either (a.) hang up way out there, or (b.), not even respond. Try to find custom calls for your e-callers.

You'll get some shots within 100 yards, but plan on 200+ yards as the norm. The wind blows here on the Eddy County/Lea County Plains almost as much as it does in Montana, so .243/6mm and up gets used quite a bit.
I use a .223 (AR15 or Ruger Ranch Rifle) with 50gr-53gr bullets for most of my calling but there are areas where it's at least my .243 with 65gr-75gr bullets or even my 6.5x280AI with 100gr Ballistic Tips.

For maximum fun, bring your 12ga with #4 buckshot if you work the sand dunes and or heavy brush in the bottoms. Nothing like having a coyote jump over you to get to that dying critter in front of you!:D

Here on the SE NM plains in September you can expect highs in the low-mid 80's and lows in the mid-upper 50's. September does bring the Autumnal Equinox, so the weather can be unpredictable.

If you guys are serious, give me a shout and I'll help you out as much as I can!

Ed

I live in SE NM and, yes, there are a lot of coyotes here. There's also a lot of calling pressure here. This was one of the favorite areas for the coyote calling contests before the "Progressives" outlawed them.

There is also a great deal of public land here, mostly BLM and even that is covered under cattle or sheep grazing allotments. For the most part, the ranchers welcome coyote hunters, it's just a matter of talking to them first and letting them know where you are going to be and asking permission to also hunt their private land. They can, and do, provide you with info on where the most coyote sightings are.

We've been in an "Exceptional Drought" for over two years now and it has greatly affected the prey populations, plus we have had RHD (Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease) go through here in the last year, decimating both the cottontail and jackrabbit populations.
I found numerous coyote carcasses in the last six months where they apparently died of starvation.

Come on out and shoot some critters!

Bring hand calls as well as your e-callers, night vision and/or Thermal if you have it, and get the "onX" hunting app for your phone and/or laptop.

"onX" premium will give you the property boundaries, landowners name, Game Management Unit#, topo, contour lines, most of the roads and two-tracks, and you can mark waypoints and share them. It can keep you out of trouble, too! ;)

It seems that most folks use FoxPro e-callers and the 'yotes are well educated and will either (a.) hang up way out there, or (b.), not even respond. Try to find custom calls for your e-callers.

You'll get some shots within 100 yards, but plan on 200+ yards as the norm. The wind blows here on the Eddy County/Lea County Plains almost as much as it does in Montana, so .243/6mm and up gets used quite a bit.
I use a .223 (AR15 or Ruger Ranch Rifle) with 50gr-53gr bullets for most of my calling but there are areas where it's at least my .243 with 65gr-75gr bullets or even my 6.5x280AI with 100gr Ballistic Tips.

For maximum fun, bring your 12ga with #4 buckshot if you work the sand dunes and or heavy brush in the bottoms. Nothing like having a coyote jump over you to get to that dying critter in front of you!:D

Here on the SE NM plains in September you can expect highs in the low-mid 80's and lows in the mid-upper 50's. September does bring the Autumnal Equinox, so the weather can be unpredictable.

If you guys are serious, give me a shout and I'll help you out as much as I can!

Ed

You are the man. Thank you so much for that information. I'd love it if we could put together a group trip out there.

Ten years ago I would have loved to have gone with ya'll. I don't have the ability to walk long distances to scout. It is also probably necessary to walk long distances from the roads and your truck in order to have good sets. Go for it while your young and in good health. Great memories to be made.

Ten years ago I would have loved to have gone with ya'll. I don't have the ability to walk long distances to scout. It is also probably necessary to walk long distances from the roads and your truck in order to have good sets. Go for it while your young and in good health. Great memories to be made.
I wouldn't worry about that too much if you want to go. I have a 5 passenger Honda side x side, surely we can get wherever we need to get to.